Need help please...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I used to play Counter strike source about a year ago on this same computer and it used to run fine, I have rebooted many times, uninstalled and re-installed steam and halflife twice. But now.. I find a server to play on, connect to it, it loads and gets into the game, the opening screen of the server telling the server rules is where I get stuck:

The game freezes and the same gun shot sound is repeated about 15 times, until the game refreshes and then the next sound I hear is repeated another 15 times... I have tried to loads the video stress test and this shows the loading screen but once it is loaded, the hole screen goes black and does not respond, I have to reboot to get back to desktop. I hope somebody could help me, thanx, Phil.

ps. my specs are:

AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3200+
2.00 GHz, 512MB of RAM
ASUS A8V deluxe
Radeon 9800 pro atlantis

I have also the latest driver for my graphics card, and the latest version of DirectX,
9GB free on C:\
6GB free on D:\

Well, I'm just a beginner here, but my recommendation would be to run any stress test you can find, and see if you can get solid results, rather than trusting the specs.
If you haven't changed anything with the computer than i would say one of two things has happened:
1) Some sort of your computer has bogged down, slowed drastically or failed.
2) You are now using an updated version of Steam and CS that uses more extreme video card conditions. On that note, your video card should easily be of capacity and performance to run the game and engine.

Sorry I can't give you an exact answer, but I do have some experience as i built a dirt cheap computer just for Counter Strike basically. I used a lower end card than that and it all worked fine. I say check the version of Steam as well as the version of CS your using and the specs necessary.

The repetitive sound makes it sound like it could be a conflict with another software runing at the same time, causing CS to chop up (seen commonly on my older gaming computer).
The video going black sounds like a video issue, but could also lead to.. a lack of memory when running CS or a conflicting program once again interrupting.

Hope I can at least point you in the right direction.

reinstalling a game doesnot always work. Sometimes you have to go into regedit and remove all regies for the game. Plus, sometimes you have to check the stuff that doesnt uninstall, both in the main directory, as well as in My Doc's, in the my game folder. Make sure all traces of the game have been removed, reinstall, update as needed, and give it a shot.

hmm...ive seen something a bit like that before but never that bad...

ive seen: the repeted sounds
: the game crashing
: other wierd stuff

but never getting stuck once you IN the server....i think if you have the minimal requirements its should be fine... it sounds like your game could be corrupted ..i dunno

one thing to try is installing it on another computer and seeing how it runs...if it works there then its a comuter issue..if not then try installing another copy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back