Need help server is running out of space

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxdanielxx

Hi i have a PowerEdge SC440 that came with a hdd space of 80gb when i got it they had it formated at c:15gb D:65gb i had to change it to C:40 D:40 know i am runing out of space on both partitions how can i add more space to keep all my files from my pos(point of sale) program can i add a EqualLogic PS5000E iSCSI Array or how should i add more space with out affecting my programs below is a picture of the server i have
3856-0053.jpg

Plenty of routes you can take, pretty much all of them involve buying a new HDD if you want to have instant access to your data. What you do after that is your call. You can image your current drive over to a larger one and use that one as your new primary drive or just use it simply as excess storage and toss whatever you want on it.

It all depends on what you have inside that server. How many free bays for hard drives? How many free SAS/SATA/SCSI ports?

Yes, you could get an iSCSI box, but that would be a bit over the top. No need to go shelling out that much money when you could get the same disk space for much less and with better performance.

In general you would add a hard drive (or a RAID array) and clone the D: partition there. Then you would remove the D: partition from your current system drive (or array) and use the free space to expand C:

just ADD an additional drive and leave the existing ones in place.
you mentioned server out of space, so once the new HD is running,
reconfigure or reinstall the server to run on the new drive.

btw: Run Disk Cleanup to free space. you can also toggle System Restore off and then back on to free up a ton of useless restore points.

xxdanielxx said:
Hi i have a PowerEdge SC440 that came with a hdd space of 80gb when i got it they had it formated at c:15gb D:65gb i had to change it to C:40 D:40 know i am runing out of space on both partitions how can i add more space to keep all my files from my pos(point of sale) program can i add a EqualLogic PS5000E iSCSI Array or how should i add more space with out affecting my programs below is a picture of the server i have
3856-0053.jpg

Did you get this when it was for only $218 including shipping. The only drawback was the 80GB HDD. This drive should be for your OS/Programs then get and larger HDD for max storage but like always you'll never have enough HDD space.

hi thanks for the help quick question:
what is taking up my space is the pos and quickbooks should i get a larger hdd say 500g and just install the program to that hdd would that work

If you buy a larger HDD you'd probably want to just use it as your primary drive. You don't seem like you would want your data split between two drives. You would be better off just imaging your current drive over to the new one. Just my opinion anyway...

ok thanks just to make sure every time i need more space just get a larger drive for now and then just just ghost to crate an image right

Well it's not really a practical thought to say, every time you need more space you'll have to buy a new HDD and chuck the old one. I mean you can very easily spread your data across multiple disks. I just figured it might be a bit complicated for you to do that vs just imaging your old drive to a new one. You can always just use the new drive to store whatever data you care to.

Just physically install the drive, lay down a file structure and you ought to be set. You'll see an additional HDD under My Computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back