Need Help Setting Up my CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

akaivan

Hey guys I need help with my cpu.I check my hardware its said my cpu is an intel p4 2.4 but the speed is set to 1.8, how do i change that.I know its kinda simple but im only 14,

Enter your pc's bios, (press either f2 or del when you boot, whichever your motherboard uses, or press both :)).

There should be a setting for fsb speed with settings like 100, 133, and 200, or 100-200+ in 1mhz increments. You probably have a cpu with an 18x multi which is incorrectly set to 100 fsb in bios, which gives you 18 x 100 = 1800mhz, 1.8ghz, so set it to 133, and it'll be 133x 18 =2.4ghz.

i found the spot to change the cpu frequency but its said its locked and i cant switch to 133 witch is set on 100mhz?

If you look in your mobo manual, it will tell you how you can change the fsb setting.

If you don`t have the manual, you should be able to download one from your mobo manufacturers website.

Regards Howard :)

It may have a setting close to the fsb like cpu fsb selection: auto/manual. Set it to manual if it has the option. Or you may have a board that won't let you select the fsb, a bummer if it is.

yep i cant switch to manual but i found there website and nuthing on switching the speed?i bought the comp from a friend but it was jess the tower.

Ok. What mobo do you have?

If you go HERE and read my post, you will notice a link to the free Everest programme.

It will give you lots of info about your system.

Regards Howard :grinthumb

Maybe the board only supports 100mhz fsb (400 quad pumped). I have an old mobo like that, it'll only take cpus with the 400 fsb (100mhz in bios). So if you get a 533(133 in bios), or 800fsb(200 in bios), then it'll underclock it to a 400fsb.

Two options in that case, get a new motherboard, or get a faster 400fsb cpu(they made 2.8ghz 400mhz fsb cpus).

Well, I guess there is a third cheaper option, to just settle for the 1.8ghz speed.

alright howard i will fill it out,and another question is the 1.8 alot slower than the 2.4?

akaivan said:
alright howard i will fill it out,and another question is the 1.8 alot slower than the 2.4?

As Ironduke says you would notice the difference.

As soon as I know what your mobo is, I`ll have a search around for a solution.

And another question wat temperature should my cpu be? mine is around 110 farenheit,is that ok?

Your cpu clock frequency is set via jumpers on the mobo.

If you pm me your e-mail address, I will send you your mobo manual, as a pdf document.

As regards your temps I suggest you checkout the link provided by Ironduke.

Please delete your e-mail address. It`s not a good idea to have your address on a public forum(too many nutters).

BTW I have sent you the manual.

Hey that`s ok. The jumpers on your mobo alow you to set the cpu frequency to either 100mhz, or 133mhz. Since it is already set at 100mhz you need to change the jumpers to give you 133mhz.

Your mobo manual shows you which jumpers to move.

I don`t think I can explain it any better. Perhaps you would be better off taking your computer to a repair shop, and asking them to do it for you.

This shouldn`t cost a great deal of money as it`s only about a five minute job.

Regards Howard :) :)

ok i got it i set both cpu clocks to open 133 AND IT WORKED!!its 2.4 but now my pc crashes!!! i start up and it works and sometimes it will say hd error or sumthin else and now it jess restarts!Any idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back