need help - system policies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alliance1911

ok today i bought a new laptop (HP Presario B1800) which going to be used with my business for client use. i want to have 2 account on there 1 admin (which i have) and a 2nd (Client logon) which i already have and i set the new user account as limited access but yet want to limit it more. i added a new locl group called "Client Operators" and added the new user into that account. i want to add policies to that group only like to limit all access with like removing the ability change wallpapers etc... without having the other groups affected earlier because earlier i tried to do the policies and restrict but it afected my own user admin account :S thats why i created a new group and added the the user account into that group so one more time i want to be able to change all hte system policies i want to that certain group and user without afecting my other users on diff groups. please help me.

btw i am using windows xp pro sp2 on laptop

Control pannel->local secruity settings
You should assign your new group to the policies you want them to have (it is a backwards way of doing things I feel, but then I'm used to Active Directory policies). Then add the user accounts you want to restrict to the group.
There may be some things you can't restrict with this method, but short of editing registry keys (bad idea if you're not sure what you're doing), or installing an adminitration package, you'll find that impossible.
If you want to go for the admin software, there's a decent package with a free trial (indefinate time) which supports two clients. I'll have to ask one of the other techs what the URL is though as he's using it to set up an Inet caffee. I'll wait 'till you post a reply.

thnkx man but i dont see local security settings in control panel :S and maybe it might be easier to use a administrative package?

1, Go to Start -> run and type gpedit.msc and hit enter

2, select the following console path (much like you would if you were browsing folders in Windows Explorer... Local Computer Policy/Computer Configuration/Windows Settings/Security Settings/Local Policies/User Rights Assignment.

3, Add and/or remove your new group from the vaious items listed here. If I were you, I'd avoid changing the administrator account in there unless you know what you're doing.

Hope this helps.

ij i got into that but there dont seem to be alot of options to change for one certain account. but in admin templates u got loads of lists to edit???

If you come back up one level from the user rights assignment and select security options, there are yet more options there.

The administrative templates are system wide changes, most of which are just on/off items. (well, not technically, Only to the users they apply to.)

Computer Policy/Computer Configuration/Windows Settings/Security Settings/Local Policies/ is where you need to be for assigning group priviledges.

For an introduction/overview to setting group policy, go here. http://www.theeldergeek.com/group_policy_for_windows_xp_prof.htm

Just so you know, local system policies are in the administrative tools folder in control pannel.
Start->Control Pannel->Administrative Tools.
Sorry for missing that out in my earlier post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back