now, heres what it is
Intel Pentium 4 3.4GHz cpu
GIGABYTE GA-8I915P Duo(Rev 2.0) Motherboard
supports 64bit
1GB DDRII 533mhz ram
250gig SATA HDD 7200Rpm,
NEW 18x DVD-RW with dual layer support
supports + and - format disks.

Nvidia 7300GS upto 512MB Turbo Cache Graphics card. (256MB memory on Card and with Turbo cache which utilises system ram for upto 512MB).
PCI-Express 16x port
onboard 7.1 surround sound support
10/100/1000 Network,
4 SATA ports.
6 usb ports 4 back and 2 front
Cool Black 550watt ATX tower case

yea..may sound pretty nice, but i dont know anthing about the graphix card or...yea
plz help needed
seeing if im able to play WOW with out much lag in big cities =]
thx guys
the comp cost....600 AU bucks,
also think its worth it?

Pentium 4's are garbage.
That motherboard/chipset is old.
7300GS sucks ballz.
Turbocache sucks even more.

That said, the rest of it seems fine, except for the somewhat slow speed of the RAM.

You should get a Core 2, Gigabyte 965P motherboard, and a 7600GT at least.

I concur. Pentium 4's are based on netburst, which is a terrible architecture. The GeForce 7300 GS series are dead-end. Thats a very old board. Not to mention the super slow RAM.

thx guys..
any suggestions helpin memakein a new comp for wow?
trying keep the budget under 650 for the desktop

@metalx. That 7300 may "suck ballz" but I believe it is enough to play WoW. I just did a search with google and found a 7300gs review with wow. On 1024x768 it had about 27 fps. on 800x600 it had around 40. this was with 4xAF and no AA. This might not be the best there is, but the game is playable. I suggest you move up to the 7600 series if that's possible with the budget though

I know it's enough to play WoW. But, most people who play WoW end up playing for thousands of hours. And not many people want to spend thousands of hours at 800x600.

That's why I recommend a 7600GT or X800GTO (if you can find one).

Quite specifically for WOW, you'll want to get >1 gig of memory if you plan to play to 70, do heroic instances and such in Burning Crusade. Many of the new zones in Burning Crusade are major memory hogs and will sputter/lag on 1 gig of RAM with higher game settings. Plus you can have flying mounts now and fly around- with paging this really blows.

For your budget, you are probably okay with an Athlon 64/AM2 socket CPU. You'll get the best bang for the buck for a sub-$700 USD system. Is US Dollars your budget or other currency?

I'd recommend building your own system or getting help building it. If you live in the USA, you can use NewEgg to custom select your parts and assembling/installing really isn't that hard. Also, what you learn in the process will be priceless going forward for diagnosing your own problems, re-installation (if needed) and tuning/upgrading down the road.

I would recommend getting a system with 2 gigs of ram, and something a bit more beefy than a 7600 series for WOW. Obviously though, much will also depend on your monitor/desired resolution. If you have an LCD, it's native resolution will be most desirable to properly and easily read text/combat messages in WOW so this may decide how much graphic muscle your new system will need.

If you can reply back:
1) Your locale/currency rate.
2) Do you feel up to assembling your own system?
3) What is your maximum budget you can spend?
4) What other games will you wish to play aside from WOW?
5) What monitor do you plan to use? Is your $650-$700 budget just for the computer, or do you need everything- such as monitor, mouse, keyboard, etc.etc. What things might you have currently you can re-use?

I agree with Shark ( since he / she is always right! :D )

Even though I dont play WoW I can tell you you'll need a decent PC to play in the 70s instances with 40 people while fighting bosses that shoot fire or something ;)

If you're in the USA i'll help you pick out parts for your budget :)

My friend has a P4 1.6 GHz, 768 PC133, Geforce4 Ti4200 AGP8X, and he does Molten Core all the time with no problems. He plays on medium settings @ 1600x1200, and gets 25FPS in the most intense moments of Molten Core. I know. I watched him fighting Ragnaros.

But I'd say:

Athlon 64 X2 3600+
Pretty much ANY PCI-E mobo
1-2GB RAM
80gig minimum hard drive
7600GT or X1650XT or better

Okay once more I agree with MetalX. This is what I'd recommend.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ Brisbane - $65.00
Biostar tForce 550 ATX AM2 Motherboard - $78.99
Corsair ValueSelect 1GB (512MB x2) DDR2-667 RAM - $64.99
Seagate Barracuda 160GB SATA-2 HDD - $56.99
eVGA e-GeForce 7600 GT 256MB -$109.99

Other:
ASUS 80mm CPU Cooler - $8.99
Apevia Turbo-Link 500W Power Supply - $39.99

Total Price (With shipping) - $438.22

Nice list beef, That's a cheap price! Im going to build it then sell it for double on Ebay! Muahahahaha :evil:

MetalX said:
My friend has a P4 1.6 GHz, 768 PC133, Geforce4 Ti4200 AGP8X, and he does Molten Core all the time with no problems. He plays on medium settings @ 1600x1200, and gets 25FPS in the most intense moments of Molten Core.
That's all well and good, but that above system will chew/sputter in the new Outlands content. My P4-2.0ghz, 9800 Pro with 2 gigs of ram can barely handle Shattrath city nonetheless Underbog or the new zones.. yet it can break 60 fps in Molten Core.

Again, the real issue is if the player wishes to do heroic's + Outlands. The new zones allow for flying mounts also so just sitting in a city, any given game content segment is 10x it's normal size (i.e. doesn't clip Z anymore for flying content)... so it's nasty.

There was a time when a laptop + integrated could play WOW fine.. and for old content, this remains true... but for the new Content + latest patches (2.0.10+ especially), the game chews/dogs... and needs a LOT more muscle for this content.

That being said, an Athlon 64 + 7600GT should be fine provided LCD native resolution isn't something way high/nuts and/or native resolution isn't required. Anything 1280x1024 or lower should have enough muscle even with the newer zones. I don't recommend NVIDIA cards for WOW right now though as they are having a number of performance problems with WOW since the BC patches... can't even get good framerates out of a 6800GT or 7900GT right now... but it's definitely a Blizzard issue and hopefully will be fixed soon.

I agree that more is better. They have minimum system requirements but you'll be dropping out, lagging, and crashing all of the time which will just end up making you get a new system. And as far as beef_jerky's list, double the ram, get a better card, and don't forget a case, monitor, keyboard and mouse!!

Yes, or you could simply SLI 6800s and get basicaly the same performance as 1 7800 or so, Plus when you SLI videocards you get smoother gameplay because instead of just 1 card taking all the heat it divides it up into 2-4 cards making it less hot ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back