Need help trying to overclock please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello there!

I recently purchased my new laptop and put in 2 gigs of extra RAM. It runs fine and smooth. My graphics card is also pretty good - a GeForce 8400M G (128mb)
The processor is a Intel Dual Core T7100 running at 1.8ghz.

However,when I play games like Half Life 2 and crysis, there is a certain choppiness and lag to the in game cutscenes. Playing the game is also hard as it can get choppy at times. I figured that if I overclocked my cpu, it would probably run better. However, I have no idea how to. I'm not a complete noob as I do understand how it works etc. I just haven't found any solid advice and so decided to post here for some help.

Any help would be appreciated greatly =]

-gyradose

It may help a little, but running those games on that laptop is probably the reason why you are getting chopiness. I have a GeForce 7600GT at 256mb and run crysis on low. That type of intergrated graphics probably can't handle something like half life and crysis.

Oh it's not integrated graphics chip if it's an Nvidia right? Plus, it automatically sets the settings to medium on crysis yet there is lag. Crysis recommends more than 2ghz in the processor so I'm guessing if I oc the cpu it would help.

Yes its basicly intergrated. That is what pretty much laptop has is intergrated, it just depends on what type. You could try overclocking your CPU but I am guessing that it won't help much if at all. You probably won't notice the difference between 1.8 and 2.1.

Hello. I looked at many GeForce 8400 video cards. They didn't have the letter M but I'm pretty sure that just means 'mobile'. The cards were all 256 mb or 512 mb. The thing that stood out to me is the bandwidth of these processors. Unfortunately your video processor only has about 6.4 GB's/sec. This is a very low spec. I am sure that if you upgrade your video processor, your problems will go away. I am positive. I've done hours of research on graphics because I spent a lot of money on my setup and I wanted to know what I was doing. You don't need to overclock at all. Good Luck.

I didn't think you could upgrade a laptops graphics at all. I thought the only things you could really upgrade where the hard drive and memory.

recently i heard that some of the latest laptops can get an upgraded video card. apparently it costs 300 bucks or something to get a new one. so i guess that means they're making them less "integrated" now. it's next to impossible for me to tell you how to upgrade a chip in a laptop. i've never even heard of the possibility until a few days ago. if i were you, i might take it to a professional and have them assess if you can get a new chip. see what you can get.

Yes you are more than likely **** out of luck! Very few laptops have an upgradeable video chip, the ones that do usually cost big bucks to begin with and cost even more big bucks to upgrade.

i'm not so sure. gateway laptops, which in my experience usually cost about 600 dollars or so (newegg prices), those tend to have the ability to upgrade. so they don't have to be mega expensive laptops to be upgradeable. it just depends on the laptop. but you're right about the big bucks to upgrade. as i wrote in my last post, the guy i was helping said that the place he was getting help from asked from 200-300 dollars to upgrade the video chip.

unfortunate. it's like buying a secondary cheap laptop for that kinda money.

Damn..I see. But if I still wanted to oc my CPU would it
firstly - be advisable to do it in a laptop?
secondly - really show that much of an improvement?
And thanks for the tips on the video card. If anything I could try and get that upgraded if that's even possible.
The only odd thing is that the card - a Geforce 8400M G is actually a special type of card made customisable by the laptop maker - ASUS. I can't dll normal driver updates for it at nvidia.com. It doesn't work. I have to go to asus for all driver updates. The laptop really is great and came for an awesome price, but now I wonder if I really should have gotten such an altered video card..

gyradose said:
Damn..I see. But if I still wanted to oc my CPU would it
firstly - be advisable to do it in a laptop?
secondly - really show that much of an improvement?

I wouldn't bother, Crysis hardly uses my CPU. I have a good one, but the game relys almost completely on amazing graphic cards to work nicely. If I overclock from 2.4ghz to 3.0ghz theres no improvement at all, but if I overclock my graphics card from 600/800 to 750/900 theres crazy 20% increases in frames per second. That concluded it to me. You never know, to shed some light on the subject, upgrading from 2gb to 4gb memory had hardly any performance increase for me, but I know that people who go from 1gb - 2gb see a massive difference, so maybe at your level the extra CPU juice will make a suprising difference.

Hmm. So how would I do that? Plus, 4gb of RAM isn't really used in a 32bit system. Vista doesn't take advantage of the 4th gig - it only really uses up to the third. However, I think it's different in a 64 bit system? Not sure.
Oh and yea, I forgot I could try ocing my graphics card as well..How would I do that? No one seems to have answered that question yet - how to actually oc. Lol

gyradose said:
No one seems to have answered that question yet - how to actually oc. Lol

Well its usually press Delete key when prompted on startup to enter BIOS and overclock. In the BIOS you'll probably change some settings from AUTO to MANUAL to enable overclocking... I only know a limited amount about this kind of thing to be honest, but enough to overclock safely myself :D

hi to everyone.i have a dual channel geil ddr2 800 memory.my fsb is still set at 266.i want to change the mem multiplier to 3 in order to optimize it.should i change the voltage as well?

i would suggest try upping the voltage in a small ammount, at first, if not stable, go back down.

is it right that i should change the setting to asynchronous mode and then change the mem ratio to 1:1.5 or 1:3?im planning to overclock my rig but im kinda nervous right now.:)

my system

e6300
gigabyte ds3prev3.3
gecube x1950 pro
550w psu

i have updated all of my drivers.i have seen posts that they were able to overclock up to 3.3g.but my rig's kinda new so i'm nervous tweaking it right now. :) so the settings's all in stock.so i thought i could oc the mem to maximize it.i read somewhere that i could do that if i change the it to asynchronous mode.btw i have geil value ddr2-800.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back