Need help understanding BSOD and the dump file.

Status
Not open for further replies.
##########EDIT##################

found a tool, debugwiz, that gave more info. Im attaching it as a text file.

winxp sp2 dell inspiron laptop

I started getting bsod, mostly BAD_POOL_CALLER.

i ran the dump file in windows debugging tool, and it noted that vsdatant.sys

could be the culprit. I had the previous week installed the latest Zonealarm 6, so i searched their forums. I found several BAD_POOL_CALLER posts.

So i clean uninstalled ZA6, and reinstalled zonealarm 5.5 that have been working perfect before.

Heres the problem, i still get BSOD from time to time. And the windows tool doesnt give me a nice advice like before.

The new error
dump4oa.jpg

it is still the pool header.

another bugcheck:
dumpchk2ag.jpg

im also attaching some dump files, where Mini011406-01.dmp is the latest pool header error.

i have a norton ghost image i could use, but i would really want to know what the error is. I ran memtest and the windows mem test, but it didnt find anything in 3 hours.

Thanks for any help.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

1 minidump crashes at vsdatant.sys. This is your Zonealarm firewall. It is a known issue on some systems/configurations. It has a bugcheck of C2.

Uninstall, or update Zonealarm, or try using a different firewall.

2 minidumps crash at ntoskrnl.exe. This is the Microsoft Boot Up Kernel. They have bugchecks of C2, and 50 repectively.

0x000000C2: BAD_POOL_CALLER

A kernel-mode process or driver incorrectly attempted to perform memory operations. Typically, a faulty driver or buggy software causes this.

0x00000050: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Requested data was not in memory. An invalid system memory address was referenced. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause this Stop message, as may other hardware problems (e.g., incorrect SCSI termination or a flawed PCI card).

Go HERE and follow the instructions.

It may be that Zonealarm is causing all these crashes, but it won`t hurt to follow the above instructions.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

thanks, ill follow those steps.

i didnt test each ram chip in the notebook seperate. I was using windows memory test last time.

my instinct is that ZA 6 latest somehow caused this, but now i get these errors also in ZA 5.5. Anyways, the errors started a week after ZA 6

Im using now nod32, ewido and ZA 5.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back