Need help with a new build

Status
Not open for further replies.
My old comp died a while ago (no post, no beep, all leds and fans but the nb fan worked, tried switching mobo and unplugg all parts one by one but didnt help, is it the cpu perhaps?) so now im on to an upgrade :)

Im thinking about theses parts:

DFI Lanparty UT nF4 Ultra-D nForce4 Ultra - 177$

AMD Athlon64 Venice 90nm 3200+ 2.0GHz 512kb Boxed - 206$

A-DATA "Performance" 2x1024Mb (tot. 2048Mb/2Gb) Dual DDR PC3200 400MHz 184pin CL3 - 228$

Connect3D Radeon X800GTO 256Mb DDR3 TV-out DVI VIVO RETAIL PCI Express - 222$

And a floppy because my old one broke - 12 $

This will add up for about 845$

And with this i hope my chassi/psu will make it, its a:

Antec SLK3700AMB 350Watt(SL350)
Smart Power
ATX 12V

A few more questions...
Is this a good setup?
How can i test my psu so i know thats not what crashed my last comp, and if u think its fine will it do for the upgrade?
Should i switch the mobo for the cheaper Asus A8N-E nForce4 Ultra (120$)?
And is there a better choice of gfx card withing the close price range of this?

Im going to use it for some gaming and movies and so, and it would be nice if it performed descent for some design works like 3dsmax and such.

Alot of questions perhaps but i hope to get a few directions

Greatful for all help!

I would look for a little more power for the PSU, as that is cutting it a little short.

Try an Antec 450W or something better even if you can afford it.

thx for your reply mossimoboy

ok but a 450w antec must be sufficent enough right? want to keep the price as low as possible but still get a good setup :)

Go here to calculate your power req's. http://www.extreme.outervision.com/index.jsp

See my sig. Buy a 6800GT or GTX, better yet wait a month and prob get a 7800GT 256Mb for even cheaper then a 6800 today.

You can test the PSU by shorting the 20/24 pin connector GREEN wire (there's only 1) to any black wire (theses are all ground). Plug her in and switch on. Now if you have a voltmeter check the color wires for voltage. Y=12, Or=5, R=3.3. Unless you really know what ur doing I can't tell u to load the outputs and then measure voltage.

Rest of your sys looks good.A-DATA "Performance" 2x1024Mb (tot. 2048Mb/2Gb) Dual DDR PC3200 400MHz 184pin CL3 - 228$ U might consider dropping this to 1Gb for now to save money. Is DDR2 not a reasonable price option, by def is faster (low latency). Compare prices & latency of mid range DDR2 (same size) to this performance DDR.

Cheers

kirock said:
Is DDR2 not a reasonable price option, by def is faster (low latency). Compare prices & latency of mid range DDR2 (same size) to this performance DDR.
no DDR-II support for Athlon64s so stick with DDR-I. Btw by using the specs on the system you're thinking of getting & beefing it up with 4 HDDS & two burners, I only get to about 285w usage so your current PSU should suffice. It's also by a good reputable brand so no need for a new PSU.

thx for your replies!

i think ill try with the psu i got and see how it goes...
but should i switch the radeon for something like this:

Point of View GeForce 6800GS 256Mb DDR3 TV-out DVI SLI-ready RETAIL PCI Express - 252$

whats the difference between GT and GS?

GS is AGPX8 and GT is PCI-E.

no DDR-II support for Athlon64s so stick with DDR-I.
Ok, I wasn't planning on buying any soon so actually never looked that up. I never thought of DDR2 not supported by AMD64. Thanks Dido.

It will be supported with the new AM2 socket scheduled to come out sometime around June/July. & btw there are AGP version of the 6800GT as well as PCI-e versions of the 6800GS. ;)

Well I'm 0 for 2, having a tough thread! :blush:
The other day I WAS searching for 7800 cards to replace my 6600GT PCI-e and it just seemed every 7800GS was only AGP, I never saw a GS that was PCIe, so in error I thought the GS was AGP. Can I make a safe assumption(I'm an ***** I never learn) that the GS suffix would be a indication of the number of pipes available (something less then the GT series?)??

Cheers and sorry for the misinformation guys. Thanks again Didou.

yea found the specs :)

GeForce 6800 GT 16xPixel Processors 6xVertex Processors 256-bit GDDR3/256MB GPUspeed-350MHz RAMspeed-1000MHz
GeForce 6800 GS 12xPixel Processors 5xVertex Processors 256-bit GDDR3/128/256MB GPUspeed-425MHz RAMspeed-1000MHz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back