Need help with a possible worm

Status
Not open for further replies.
EDIT: Could someone please move this to the Security and the Web forums please. Sorry for posting in the wrong spot.

Okay, so heres the rundown:

This problem just arose yesterday and I've tried almost everything I can think of to fix it. The problem is that while I'm on my computer (Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 2), an error message randomly pops up with a 60 second countdown that says:

The system is shutting down. Please save all work in progress and log off. Any unsaved changes will be lost. This shutdown was initiated by NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM.

The system process C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\SERVICES.EXE terminated unexpectedly with status code 128. The system will shut down and restart.

Heres what I've done so far to combat this error:

-Scanned my entire computer with my anti-virus program, Avast 6. Found nothing.
-Scanned my entire computer with Ad-Aware, SpyBot, and a few other misc cleaners which found some spyware, but nothing related to the problem at hand.
-Repeated the first two in Safe Mode.
-Used RegCleaner to inspect and clean my Registry.
-Used HiJackThis to attempt to gain a log that includes the problem. (Still haven't managed to get it)
-Downloaded and used two Symantec Worm Removers, which found nothing.
-Did general searching on my computer to locate a strange file, etc.
-Scanned my entire computer with HouseCall, which found a trojan.
-Ran sfc which did nothing.

So, since I haven't been able to fix this problem with the tools I have, I've done some extensive research on the problem. I found that the exact error message is a problem associated with Windows 2k where some entries in the registry are false and need to simply be removed to fix the problem (See this page. However, since I'm running XP the problem and solution aren't the same. After hours of searching, I effectively found numerous others on forums who share the same problem and have been unable to correctly fix the error. The only helpful info I found was that to cancel the shutdown I can enter "shutdown -a" in the Run box.

Any help with this problem would be GREATLY appreciated. And I'd prefer not to have to reinstall Windows or use a System Restore point. Also, I'll try to get a screenshot of the error as well as a HJT log as soon as I can. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Very Important: Before deciding whether you should clean or reformat your system, go and read this thread HERE and decide what it is you want to do.

If after reading the above, you wish to clean your system, do the following.

Go and read the Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions. Follow all the instructions exactly.

Post fresh HJT and AVG Antispyware logs as attachments into this thread, only after doing the above.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of Wispmage only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back