Need help with a sound issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

vasja220

Okay one day I got on my computer and it sort of booted up but then crashed. I started it again and there was no sound and a little installation balloon popped up asking me to install a multimedia audio controller. I clicked on it to try and see if this was the thing for my sound, but basically it said it didn't know where to look for files or how to install. I really want my sound back and have looked everywhere for ans answer, any help people?

About my computer all I know is that its a Windows XP. The speaker system Im using is Altec Lansing speakers and sub woofer I think ATP3. Not sure. Please help my ignorant mind figure this out.

On that "happy day" that you got your computer you should have also gotten a nice CD with the drivers of your soundcard, if it's onboard then it will be on the disc of you motherboard.

Multimedia device = sound card :)

Without knowing what soundcard you have we can't really help you get the drivers.
But you should have gotten them with your computer, allof of ppl lose those cd's/forgot that they ever got them/don't know what they are :)

So if you have some unkown CD with "motherboard drivers" or, "soundcard drivers" on, thats what you need :)

Without knowing what sound card it is or if it's onboard your motherboard type.... we can't really help... it's like trying to open a lock without the key...

First, is your soundcard on the motherboard?, just look at the back of your computer, really easy to spot :).
If it is, try to find out what motherboard you have,manual?, if you have it, if you don't, you could always remove the side panel and look on the motherboard to see what type it is(f.e. P4-TE) located somewhere arround the cpu most of the time.

If it's a seperate card, then you'll have no option but to look on the card itself. The brand and card type should be on it.

So the first step is to find out what hardware you have.

i cant spot it and im basically useless in the computer field. Is there anyway like I can type in like something into the Run program to spit out the soundcard name. I did that with my video card.

You can try to look in the device manager if it says a name, but i'm pretty sure it'll just say "mulimedia device".

What is it that you can't spot?, did you open your case?

Getting into device manager is easy, right click on "this computer", click on "manage" and you'll get a new window like this one:

tpc_1482_b.gif

You'll also see the yellow questionmark just like in this screenshot.
Click on the plus next to it, and you'll see the "Multimedia Device"

I very much doubt that this will help you.

Don't be scared of breaking anything(that way you won't learn anything :))

have you found out if it's external(pci-card) or an onboard soundcard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back