Need help with adapters: VGA to laptop monitor & PS2 to laptop keyboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cryo

I'm thinking about taking and old laptop and retrofitting it with a mini motherboard to use as a server at my new apartment. I would like to use the keyboard and monitor on the laptop case to keep the overall size down but I can't find any reference as to how you connect standard motherboard connectors (video and PS2(keyboard)) to the connectors found on the laptop monitor and keyboard. If anyone knows where I can find these connectors or specs on how to make them I would really appreciate it. If the mod gets done it will probably be pretty impressive and I'll give you credit for your troubles. :) Thanks

That is one ambitious project.. SOrry to bring you down to earth.

Some laptop keyboards are indeed hardwired to the PS2 controllers and all you would have to do would be to figure out the pinout. Some other laptops have special keyboard controller logic and you probably wouldn't be able to connect those to anything.

Laptop screens do not use standard VGA signalling, but LVDS. You would have to do some serious digging to find a video card that has LVDS output.

You may be able to rip open a brand new low-profile narrow keyboard and use that instead. Same goes for the screen - maybe use the innards of some standard LCD monitor?

Yes, that would seem to be the best option. You can get USB keyboards that look identical to laptop keyboards, complete with touchpad at the front. You should be able to strip one of these down and wire it straight to one of the USB Header blocks on your motherboard (assuming you get a board with a USB front header block on it).

I think the screen will work out the hardest part for you!

Good luck, keep us updated with your progress, I'm intrigued :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back