Need Help With Emachine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All, I am a newbie to this site, and was wondering if someone might be able to help me with a problem I have with a emachine model #T2742. The power supply went bad so I changed that, only before I could get to the machine my brother pulled off the three wires labeled, Pwr S/W, Pwr Led, HDD Led.

And now I cannot find where they go. I found the spot for the Pwr Led, However, the other two wires are a mystery.

I don't know what the motherboard # is.

Can someone please help, I can't get the computer to turn on.

The PWR S/W is your power button cable. Thats why its not powering up

HDD LED is the indicator light for your Hard Drive

PWR Led is your power led for your power switch which is not working because its not plugged in.

The motherboard model is between your PCI slots in bold white letters

trashman said:
Hi All, I am a newbie to this site, and was wondering if someone might be able to help me with a problem I have with a emachine model #T2742. The power supply went bad so I changed that, only before I could get to the machine my brother pulled off the three wires labeled, Pwr S/W, Pwr Led, HDD Led.

And now I cannot find where they go. I found the spot for the Pwr Led, However, the other two wires are a mystery.

I don't know what the motherboard # is.

Can someone please help, I can't get the computer to turn on.

Ouch, man! Trust me when I say, we've all been here. Unfortunately, every motherboard is different; so you're just going to have to use a 'guess and check' strategy in order to pull this off. I'd start with your PWR button. Keep trying it in different connectors until it works. Then, of course, your other stuff(light indicators, reset, et cetera). My biggest problem with all of this, is the fact your hands may get a little cut up in the process.

If you knew the brand/make of your board, you could probably get an online manual with a diagram on how to set those up. But, nevertheless, you're going to have a fun challenge.

Just an FYI: Polaritys[+/-] don't matter. So good luck!

trashman said:
Thanks, Thats the exact board I have. Is this board the one with all the problems?

I don't know what you mean about "all the problems" but the manual will show you where the wires go. Emachines wants $159.95 for this board

Emachine T6420 problem!!

Hello, I'm new here. Yesterday my Emachine T6420 decided it didn't want to start. The fans run, but the hard drive will not. I opened the tower and checked all my connections. Everything looked ok. PSU fan was running as well. Just no hard drive. I took the drive out and hooked to my other pc. The hard drive then ran and the pc tried to boot from it, but I received the message about authenticating Windows XP. Tried to do via the internet but, it wouldn't acknowledge my connection (cable). So, my conclusion is that the mobo and cpu is bad. Problem is that I don't really want to fix it. I just want the Pictures, music, so forth off of the hard drive. Is there a way of doing this without going through a terrible amount of money?

The board is a Tri-Gem make of an Intel motherboard. Intel licensed the build to Tri-Gem. The wires should connect in the same way as the Intels, images for which are widely available.

steeler sandy,
the motherboard is bad. The CPU is fine. Other than the motherboard everything else in you system is ok. You can buy a replacement motherboard from Emachines for $160 to $250 and everything would be fine again. You could buy a new system and install your old Emachines hard drive as the primary slave and recover your data that way... Personally, I would buy a non-Emachines motherboard for $45-$80 and buy myself a licensed copy of XP, and reinstall it on the new motherboard. You could have a working system for around $250

You're welcome Sandy...

I forgot to mention that I would replace the power supply too, but yours may be ok. Good luck!

There are lots of nice bundles that will help keep the price down... The bundles include the motherboard and processor... www.tigerdirect.com, www.zipzoomfly.com, www.newegg.com, www.outpost.com, www.directron.com and others.
Just be aware that your hard drive will not work in the new motherboard, because Windows will detect that a significant change has occurred, and the eMachines recovery disc will not work on the motherboard unless it detects the eMachines EPROM to verify it is the correct eMachines model.

Raybay,
I think Sandy is going to go with the Emachines exact replacement. I haven't checked the Emachines support site as to the availability of the motherboard. I hope Sandy does

Looking around the web, there are only 3 other places that offered the ms-7207 motherboard, but they no longer have them nor can they get them. Emachines site says they have them, but I haven't been through the order process yet (due to lack of funds) to find out, if at the end they will tell me, "Sorry Charlie, no can do."
The other sites offered it at between 63.00 and 80.00, but of course Emuchcrap wants 160.
Just my luck. 51 inch tv takes a dump the week before...squeeze 400.00 out my backside and along comes a spider.

Why not forget the MS-7207 because the eMachines Windows and recovery disc set will not work on it anyway. It must have the eMachines eProm. You can find a series of bundles of motherboard and CPU at such sites as www.tigerdirect.com and many others that will be cheap enough for you to buy Windows XPH for $64 to $82 and WXPP for $129 to $140.
There are many which will fit that almost generic case.

So, if I go the way of a bundle, and a new windows xp disc, will I be able to recover my files, pics, music, etc. that are on the harddrive? This is my main concern. I am told if I buy the ms-7207 replacement that it should mount right up and be fine with the way things are.

You are going to be able to recover your stuff, but you will have to go to some work. Only the eMachines motherboard will allow the hard drive to work as before. Otherwise, you will need to run a repair.
You can install that drive as a slave in another machine, or other tricks.
Nothing will be simple if Windows XP detects that your machine configuration has changed, which it will, for sure.
But it is possible to save everything you have on that hard drive.
You can always pay the !59.95 plus shipping to eMachines, but there is no guarantee the motherboard will last any longer than the last one.

You will get a choice to select "Repair" When you run that, it will update your hard drive so it is no longer looking for the eMachines EPROM, but will ask you to activate the Windows version within 7 days. Do that by phone.
If this is your first time installing Windows in REPAIR mode, it is wise to have an experienced friend or tech on hand if the data is valuable.
What you can do, is use another drive as master, and the eMachines drive jumpered as slave, then drag and drop most of the data to another drive, or burn it to discs.

Actually, I found out today that my Xp version is only an upgrade for Windows 98..which means I will have to buy the full version, which I am assuming is more tha 100 bucks, which is more than I can spend right now.

steeler sandy said:
Actually, I found out today that my Xp version is only an upgrade for Windows 98..which means I will have to buy the full version, which I am assuming is more tha 100 bucks, which is more than I can spend right now.

Steeler,
There is no such thing as " Xp version is only an upgrade for Windows 98". Your copy is a simple XP Home or Pro upgrade disc. When the install asks you to provide proof of an existing Windows install, all you have to do is place a copy of Windows 98, Windows 2000 Pro or even Windows Me in the CD ROM and hit return, After you do this, the XP install will continue normally

Shopping around can get you a legal copy of WXPH OEM for as low as $64 and an average of $82. Some places, if in academics or volunteer non-profits, you can get the academic version for $84. Windows XP Professional is being sold many places for $132 with a VISTA compon, and that price will go up. You might be able to work a trade with somebody for part cash.

oh..ok...that is helpful...So, if I go to wal-mart and buy the $99 Windows XP Upgrade program, it will work the same as the full, as long as I have the Windows 98 CD?

Actually there are XP upgrades that will only work with 98 and W2K, and will not work to upgrade ME... one of the strange things I have seen Microsoft do. They are generally tied into corporate and academic accounts, and were not sold as such.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back