Need help with Linksys Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

mephisto_007

I really need help on my Linksys Router BEFW11S4 (v. 1.50.14) it keep freezing up every 10-15 minutes and i have to reset it by unplug/replug the electrical power before i get back online again.

It doesn't acting this way until i had recently change my ISP from ISDN to ADSL (i'm not quite too sure on this really - because i wasn't at my place afew days when ADSL technician came to connect it for us)

Is it something wrong with the way it connect/config?
Or is it just plain hardware faulty

- Linksys Router is connect to the Modem Router
- I can access Linksys Router but not Modem Router (don't know how to access)
- I know when Linksys Router Freeze because i cannot ping it.
- Computers network seem to run normally even Router freeze it just Internet that we can't access.

Much help is needed.

Update the firmware on the Linksys and disable all the services you don't absolutely need like packet filtering and DHCP on the router.

Ok i'll try but the Router still freezing up
-disable Local DHCP server
-disable MTU
-disable Filter Multicast, Filter Internet NAT Redirection, Filter IDENT(Port 113):
-disable PPTP Passthrough, PPPoE Passthrough, IPSec Passthrough

Anymore help would be appreciated.

is this affecting only the wireless portion or also hardwired?
If wireless, try setting Authentication to Open, Preamble to Long, and TX rate to 1-2.

StormBringer: I am not using wireless (only if i can afford some wireless nic or wireless pcmcia) anyway my network is consisting only with wire (cat 5 cable)
i had contact linksys Live Chat service and recommend me to upgrade their beta firmware which has not publicly introduce. I am currently for them to mail me.

anyway while i am waiting for a new lhope of light from Linksys, any other suggest on this problem case would gladly be appreciate.

Your ADSL modem might also have a neutered router inside of it. When I had DSL, Sprint gave out modems that translated the public address to 192.168.1.1. In order to use another router, this feature had to be turned off by turning the modem/router into a modem/bridge. You will have to call tech support to do this unless you extremely proficient in knowing what settings to change while telneted into the modem. But, it could be something completely different.

Since the Linksys can't be pinged it it obvious the problem is with the router.

A freeze like this is caused by the router OS/software hanging. The computers on the LAN can communicate with each other fine because they are connected by a dumb switch. No traffic can get across the router part of the router since the router is dead.

You could take your router back to the shop or RMA it in case it's faulty hardware.

It is very hard to live in a third world country because the warrant is not apply here in all product which in this case i am too.

Speaking of this router it is really really getting in my nerve very hard i cannot believe because it just keep freezing the hell out every 10-15 minutes and i cannot stand it.

Anyway to my last conclude which new router should i get? could anyone here help me with this please.

new Firmware

Hi Mephisto,

i have the same problem with same router, but freezing not every 10-15 minutes but every 15-24 hours.
Linksys have a new firmware 1.52.xx. Download it and try it.
I have installed it change some options, hope it wil work fine now. :)

When you not need the wirless part, deactivate it because that seems to be the problem.

bye oluja!

this might help

i had same problem and it took me forever to figure it out, if u are able to view your network traffic it will show you the problem, you need to disable windows dhcp, its asking the router to renew the ip address for no dam reason, it doesn't relize you don't need to renew it, i seen my windows xp computer keep asking my router that, so i guess the router didn't know what to do and it takes the ip but doesn't renew it. when i had the problem, my router was staying connected for about 30 minutes then it would stop. hope this helps

aaron

disabling dhcp

hi,

i am having the same problem.

how do I disable the DHCP in windows xp?

Also when i try to watch videos from cnn.com or other websites the router freezes.

Thanks for your time.

set your pc to a static ip theres no need to disable dhcp..but you can stop the service if you like..
right my computer , manage,
services and applications/services and turn the service off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back