need help with my pc!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jefftc14

I have this really wierd problem with my pc whenever I play games. It only happens when I play games and it had never happened before until a few months ago when it first happened while I was playing oblivion. I thought it might have been just that game but now whenever I play any game it happens. I have all of the recent drivers for all of my hardware (except sp2), but for some reason I'll just be playing a game and the screen will go to a blank blue screen and the sound will get distorted and skip and then I have to restart my pc. sometimes when I'm playing WoW it will just crash back to windows with an error screen instead. this problem also occurs randomly, sometimes after an hour of playing the game and sometimes after about 10 minutes. I've allready asked on other forums and we ran memtest and checked for malware and both checked out ok. whenever I go to my computer, manage and check for errors it says unable to complete operation, interface unknown... so I can't check those. If anyone has had this problem before or has an idea as to how I can fix this I would really appreciate it.

Hello and welcome to Techspot!

Oblivion really is a system killer. Literally. This game will bring all your system components to their very limits. My guess is (and this is just a guess at this point) your PSU was stressed while playing Oblivion, and now it is starting to fail on you.

Couple of things to check first:

Why don't you have SP2? It is a very important upgrade that not only fixes many of XPs common problems, but also helps protect your computer from a lot of junk. This may or not be the cause of your problem. Regardless, you need to get yourself upgraded.

The fact that you can't get into your "event viewer" is another potential sign that your windows installation is starting to get a little wacky. You said you checked for malware, are you sure you did a comprehensive search?
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic50981.html

Go into your system's bios, and check what your power supply's voltages are being reported at. Specifically, your 3.3v, 5v and 12v readings.

How many watts is your PSU rated at? Who is the maker? Look at the sticker attached to it, and tell us how many amps it has on it's 12v rail(s).

first of all thanks for your reply. and you actually nailed the psu problem because before I played oblivion I was playing f.e.a.r which is even more notorious for killing a system. and my psu did fail on me and I now have a brand new one installed. in regards to your second question I had this problem where I couldn't get anything to install on my pc for some reason, even my g15 keyboard and games. I was able to fix this problem and now everything is back to normal and I plan on installing sp2 as soon as its done downloading. I'll let you know when its installed and if that changes anything. also, yes I used ewido and hijackthis and posted the logs on another forum for htem to check and they said both were ok, (this was on pchelpforum) I also followed their instructions for proper checking. and they also asked me to check my voltages and they are at their normal levels (I haven't overclocked anything). however, I will post back with their exact levels after this post. and my new psu is the aspire atx-as500w 12v model. so its a 500w with a max load of 480w I think, and I think its got 16A and 18A. but here's a link explaining everything about it in case I read it wrong. http://www.atruereview.com/aspirepsu/index.php

Those are the voltages, we need the amps on the 12V rails, for example 16A, 35A, etc.

That info is located on the sticker on the side of the PSU, just like DonNagual said.

Looks like it has 34amps on it's 12v rail. That should be plenty, and your voltages are looking alright as well. I'd say it is safe to start looking for other possibilities and rule the PSU out for now.

Hopefully SP2 will clear you up. If not we'll have to start troubleshooting some other possibilities. Let us know how it goes.

I am installing sp2 right now and I will let you know how that handles the games. but wolfram I totally agree with you on the overheating but I don't know how to check to see if that is the actual problem. I was going to post this problem elsewhere but I bought a fan controller to go in one of my drive bays, and I connected the cpu fan to it, so I could control all of the fans. but whenever I booted my pc up this screen (obviously from the motherboard) would come up and check through everything attached and then say cpu error. so I plugged the fan back into the motherboard but it still keeps saying that error even though the fan is spinning and everything. while I was checking voltages I noticed the cpu temp was up at 62C which is a bit higher than what I normally have. I don't know if while I'm playing games it gets even higher and then the cpu just shuts off at a certain temp or not. is there a way to check? (my vid card is a radeon x850 which is also well known for creating alot of heat, however I do have like 10 fans in my case (thanks f.e.a.r) so I'm not worried about anything other than the cpu)

I also just downloaded a temp and fan monitoring software so as I'm playing I will check the temps and see if that could be it. because that would after all explain the randomness of these crashes.

well I installed sp2 and while I was playing the game my cpu temp did rise significantly from 48C to a max of about 63C. and the game did crash again except this time it did not go to the blue screen, instead the sound skipped but did not distort and it crashed to windows with a "this game had to unexpectedly close" window. I plan on buying a new cpu fan because I have the stock amd fan on my chip right now and thats obviously doing very little. I'll post back as I figure out if this happens with all the games.

Great news! Sounds like you found the problem hopefullly. Depends on what CPU you have, as for some CPUs that temp is not bad at all.

10 fans, I don't even have 10 friends! But seriously, sometimes too many fans can work against each other and just trap dead hot air in the case. If that's an Athlon64 then the 63C is bang on for a sudden reboot. In my link BSOD below is a link to most CPU max temps, you can look up yours.

Cheers.

hahaha well I exaggerated on the fans and I know where your coming from with the too many fans thing. I just wanted it to be clear that cooling is good for me. except apperantly my cpu fan. however, I plan on going to the local tigerdirect and getting a new one within the next day or two and I'll let you all know if that solves the problem. thanks again guys.

Great news! I went out and bought a new fan and the new one is keeping my cpu a full 10 degreez C cooler. Also, that was what was causing my pc to crash during games because I was able to play several different games for multiple hours without any crashes with the new fan installed. thanks alot for helping me figure this out guys.

I´m glad that you could solve the problem!

If something goes wrong again, tell us and we´ll help as best as we can!!

Cheers! :hotbounce :wave: :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back