Need help with networking

Status
Not open for further replies.

mephisto_007

I am having some problem restricting users (customer) from accessing important resource in our network.
Our network consisting of 7 computers plus 2 customers computer, let me divide into 3 sections.

-section A consisting 2 pc + 1 laptop (same workgroup)
-section B consisting 3 pc + 2 laptop (same workgroup)
-section c consisting 2 laptop (othe workgroup)
(section c is for customer, the only thing i would like them to have is internet access, no need them to accessing into our workgroup)

NOTE: - We do not have a server running.
- The customer is owning their laptops (noway i can mess or config their machine.

Here is a draft of our network topology

Internet
|
Modem Router
|
linksys Router
| | |
| | |
Hub Hub Hub
| | |
| | |
(block A) 3 machine (block B) 5 machine (block C) 2 machine

Is there a certain way i can block the Customer machine from accessing our important file while they can surfing the internet?

I have not quite messing with using Server yet (i heard using domain is more security than using workgroup) but if i have to in order to succeed, which important procedure do i need to take and where can i learnt from? can anyone here guide me through this please.

What model of router are they? You could do it with an ACL, though I don't know if Linksys can be programmed that way. :p

Hi elfinster what is ACL and what does it do and how do i get to use it?

The router is Linksys Router BEFW11S4 Firmware Version: 1.50.14

i am not sure you have a big problem. Only members that can log on to a Workgroup and share users with accounts on each workgroup machine should be able to access Shared folders/Lan, especially if the O/S's are NTFS.
The guest can access Internet through a DMZ thru the router, they of course will need to secure their own machines as they will be totally exposed to the Internet.You will have to do only minor configuration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back