Need Help With New Computer - Damage to MOBO?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently built a new computer with the following components:

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
Crucial 2GB PC2 6400 RAM
Antec TruePower 550W Power Supply
XFX GeForce 8600GTS

The first time I powered the computer up I accessed the BIOS to check on everything. The FSB was already set to 800 MHz, but I mistakenly set it to 1066 MHz. I had a brain fart and forgot that my memory was not 1066 MHz. When I restarted the computer the case fans spun up for a few seconds, then the CPU fan spun for a second, then both stopped. Then after another second or 2, that sequence repeated on and on. I removed the MOBO battery for about 15 min. to try to reset the CMOS, but am still having the same issue.

I am assuming that I damaged some component, but I would like to figure out which component. Any insight? Thanks.

the pc won't do anything at all without ram, try using some different sticks from another pc, if it starts up normally then you need new ram

yeah the beep codes is what tells you what part of your computer is failed. including bad ram.

if you take the ram out and listen to the beep codes then surely it will just tell you that the ram is missing? i forgot to put my ram back in once and it just came up no signal on the monitor and the hdd light stayed on, cd/dvd drive lights kept flashing etc
i have the internal speaker unplugged

Removing the CMOS battery does not always work. Turn off and unplug your computer. Remove the battery from the holder and if you have a reset BIOS jumper you should move the jumper form pins 0 and 1 to 1 and 2 for a few minutes and then place the jumper back on pins 0 and 1. Your computer is probably fine you just have to clear the BIOS. What motherboard do you have?

Oops found the answer to that last question. Don't worry about the pins you don't have any. Unplug the computer remove the battery and short the positive and negitive terminals on the battery holder with a small screw driver for at least five seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back