Need help with new processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

TIMMY

I just got a new procoessor (2.8e w/ht 1mb cache blah blah) and when i boot up my computer it says "CPU is unworkable or has been changed..." so i go into my bios and it wont let me save anything, even if i don't modify anything. it just locks up at "Save changes and exit Y/N Y"

Help me please!

If this is a different CPU from before, you might want to reset your BIOS to its basic settings. Also, your mobo might not be suited for hyper threading.
Fill in the "user cp" data, so we can see what you got.

Yeah my mobo supports ht. IT's the same processor as before except it's got a 1mb cache. I tried a million times to save the settings in the bios, and even if i don't change anything in it it still locks up

edit: it spikes like crazy too. looking in my "performance" tab of my task manager theres a lot of spiking apparently. it's not a virus, it worked fine with my friends 2.8 HT

It is not the same processor as before.

P4s with 1mb of cache are Prescotts & need a Prescott ready board. Prescotts do not have the same power requirements as their Northwood cousins.

Which board is it ?

abit is7-e
Processor
- Supports Intel® Pentium® 4 Socket 478 processors (Prescott and Northwood) with 800/533/400MHz FSB
- Supports Intel® Hyper-Threading Technology

that's straight off the abit site

Find the CMOS Clear jumper or whatever it is called. If not found, remove the small round battery from the mobo, leave it out for about 20 minutes and reinsert.
The BIOS should now be reset.

I think you may need to update the BIOS of your mobo. Abit just made the IS7-e Prescott ready a few months ago. You may have an older BIOS if you bought the board from the store and have not updated the BIOS since then.

Here is a link to Abit's BIOS revision history page.
http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/bios_revision.php?categories=1&model=80

They have a newer BIOS revision out (BIOS 20) so get the latest one and flash it.

Get the BIOS from here:
http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/bios.php?categories=1&model=80

After you are done flashing the BIOS, remember to use Default settings while in the BIOS and then clear your CMOS as RBS said.

You could try to clear ur bios, and set your mobo setting to default and make sure u dont put administrative password at the bios setup level, good luck

When flashing the bios, I recommend putting the good 2.8 that works in there first. Don't flash using the prescott. I have a prescott 2.8 as well and it cooked my MSI board really bad. (TGF RMAs) They typically run very hot, just FYI.

Bug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back