Need help with "NO_MORE_IRP_STACK_LOCATIONS" BSOD and Minidump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lohq

I had some serious problems with this machine but I can't reinstall the os because it's a work computer, they can't backup and the information on it is catalogued just how they like it, don't ask me to make sense of it.
BUT I would appreciate some help making sense of the problem... It usually occurs when installing new hardware but has been known to happen at random! I checked to see if easy cd creator 5 was installed and it was because I assume this is a driver issue... so I uninstalled it, same issue, I have many unknown modules etc.. I will include my most recent minidump for you to see the madness for yourself.

A short text cap from Windebug

Debugging Details:
------------------

***** Kernel symbols are WRONG. Please fix symbols to do analysis.

MODULE_NAME: nt

FAULTING_MODULE: 804d7000 nt

DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP: 42250f77

CUSTOMER_CRASH_COUNT: 1

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: DRIVER_FAULT

BUGCHECK_STR: 0x35

LAST_CONTROL_TRANSFER: from 00000000 to 805371aa

STACK_TEXT:
f78d2884 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x1b

STACK_COMMAND: .bugcheck ; kb

FOLLOWUP_NAME: MachineOwner

BUCKET_ID: WRONG_SYMBOLS

Followup: MachineOwner
---------

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

It`s difficult to be sure from only one minidump.

For reference only. Your minidump crashes at Vax347b.sys. This is the driver for Alchol120%. it is a know issue on some systems/configurations. Temporarily uninstall Alcohol120% and see if the crashes disappear. It has a bugcheck of 35.

0x00000035: NO_MORE_IRP_STACK_LOCATIONS

In theory, this is a driver or other software issue, which encounters a stack problem. In practice, it has historically pointed to a driver problem and also occurs when RAM itself is flawed.

You should also go HERE and follow the instructions for testing your ram/hdd/page file.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Oh i see now that alcohol 120% is installed, I don't realize what's on here sometimes.
Anyways, most of my minidumps are a month apart because I tell people what not to do to make it crash but that's just no good, most commonly the computer crashes when defragmenting, installing new drivers/hardware...
done full chkdsk /r /f no problems, no hdd problems, no page problems, haven't checked the ram yet, checked in the bios for any kind of cache overwriting options or anything but nil.

I will try uninstalling alcohol then moving on to the memory afterwards, thanks.

just out of curiosity... does this represent a buffer overflow in the winxp shell? because I thought that was supposed to be near to impossible in winxp... at least I thought I read that somewhere. This computer used to have a really really nasty virus that overwrote the security block of ntoskrnl to allow guests admin access and patched ntldr to not notice the size difference... then it connected to the attacker and allowed them to install anything... it took me a week to get back into the system.

All I know is the Alcohol120% driver Vax347b.sys is known to cause issues with some systems etc.

If you Google Vax347b.sys, you`ll see what I mean. I have no idea why this driver works fine on some systems and not on others. It`s got to be some kind of conflict issue I think.

I`m hoping that this is in fact your problem, but it can also be caused by faulty/mismatched ram.

Regards Howard :)

Hmmm... nope uninstalling Alcohol didn't work...
I'll check the ram now

I couldn't get memtest86 to work but I didn't try very hard, so i tried windows memory diagnostic tool available here

***UPDATE***
Ran the memtest through 2 standard and advanced memtests and uncovered no errors so I am at a loss, I will include todays memdump as well.

Ok so I've been running windebug on just about every process, I noticed numerous errors with say windows defender not working correctly... I turned off system restore, like I said the memory passed all tests... Is there anything else I can do to provide a more specifc capture of my file system so that someone could tell me what's wrong?

Have a read of my post here:
https://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?t=48731

I'm thinking you're having PSU issues. A failing PSU can give you all sorts of false hardware failures, including a false RAM crash. Not to say your RAM isn't bad, RAM is THE most common crash cause in terms of hardware. You really should try a little harder to get Memtest86 running so you can really determine if it's bad ram.

Cheers.

Ok the memory checked out on all tests with memtest86+ and I even took the case apart and blew all the dust out (jesus there was a lot of dust) and it's looking like the power supply might just be at fault here, because for some reason they thought it was a good idea to have a modded case for a work computer (why?) with LED fans and cold cathodes and that might be just sucking up all the power so I ordered a zumax 650Watt power supply. Hopefully that fixes it.

Thanks a ton for you help guys! =D

It seems to be the 2nd most common cause of BSODs around here. I've followed members through several posts only to find he's trying to run 4 HDDs and a brand new top end graphics card with his "come with the case PSU". Those are the worst pieces of crap you don't have to buy.
Now I know just to go straight to the PSU question, then we can get into the nitty gritty of driver conflicts, RAM faults, HDD failures etc.

The only other thing I would suggest you check is the temperature of the CPU. You can download SpeedFan free. Motherboard monitor or Everst is also good.
In the BSOD link in my sig there is a list of max CPU operating temps (link) and I also gave some for common CPUs today.

Cheers.

The mobo came with asus probe on the cd it came with and I installed that recently, all pretty much well within limitations but in my bios my modules are all drawing slightly too much power and my 12v rail is underpowered and it's causing fluctuations, even the chassis fan is running far slower than it should.

It's all actually becoming quite clear as they are finally now telling me it shuts down sometimes while in the middle of watching a dvd (taxing the power on the graphics card) or other multimedia applications and if I had known that in the beginning it would have been a lot easier!

Thanks again for the help, wouldn't know what to do without ya

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back