Need help with onboard sound -- missing voices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone,

This weekend I have assembled a new machine with onboard audio (Realtek AC97). I originally used the drivers that came with it, but I encountered a problem.

All audio plays perfect -- except voices, which are reduced to somewhere around 2% volume (you can BARELY hear them if you turn everything ALL THE WAY UP).

I downloaded the newest drivers from Realtek but that changed nothing. I attributed this to crappy onboard Audio and popped in a soundblaster live card after disabling the onboard in the BIOS.

To my amazement, I still have the problem. Now, before anyone asks, all my volume controls are where they should (nothing muted, etc). Voices are missing out of Quicktime, PC games, whatever.

Any help at all would be GREATLY appreciated. If you need any further info, I can provide it.

do you mean that the voice sounds (as in music and whatnot) are down, or that the voice functions in games and the like are down? this doesn't sound like a problem with your card.

I've reached the same conclusion (it not being a card problem).

Audio from mp3's plays normal. I guess it's the voice functions in games, Quicktime, and any other video I've played.

I'm beginning to think it's a codec thing, but I would think they would come with my audio drivers. But since its not messing up in music, is there any way that could be a VIDEO codec? I haven't checked into that yet.

thanks for the reply

btw, love the Battle of Evermore in your sig

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back