Need help with partition commander for moving system

Status
Not open for further replies.

torkuda

Hi, new guy here!

I'm trying to swap my old 20 gig hard drive for a 200 gig drive. I wanted to partition the 200 gig drive into three different drives, since I wanted to run some of my old favorite games on older operating systems.

Here's what I and my dad have been able to do so far. We've split the 200GB drive into three parts, 125GB NTFS, 65GB FAT32, 2GB FAT16. When we try to boot from the old 20GB drive, WIN2K starts up and then restarts itself each time it nearly finishes applying the personal preferences. If the new drive is disconnected, WIN2K starts just fine. Before we used Partition Commander to split the drive and had just split it using the Seagate utilities the system came up just fine also. Any ideas?

Always install the 'oldest' Windows first, e.g. W95/W98/W2K/ME/XP/W2K3
If W2K is the oldest, just 'image' your old HD onto the first partition of the new HD.
Then install the next Windows (XP) in another partition. It will automatically create a bootmenu.
BUT, if you want W98, you must install that in the FIRST partition (C: drive), then RE-install W2K in the second and XP in the third partition.
You can NOT just copy W2K from the old drive in this situation!

Also, W98 can NOT read any NTFS partitions, both W2K and XP can read FAT16/FAT32 as well.

Ghost

Thanks. Also, to move the files from he old drive (my old word docs some projects and a few games- I did back them up!-) Dad was going to use a program called Norton Ghost. Would it be better to use the partition's ability to move files, Ghost, or another method entirely?

Tell me please exactly which Windows versions you want to install on that new HD.

Ghost is no good for the purposes mentioned.
To transfer doc files etc., all you need is Explorer to copy from the old to the new drive.
You can also copy 'saved' games, but not the game itself. That needs to be re-installed.

hmmm...

Well, we've been able to create the first two sytems, 95 and 98 on FAT systems. Trouble is, for some reason the computer, once powered up, won't acknowledge NTFS for the 2000. All it does acknowledge is 60 gig of "free space". (Really, it should say 125 gig if it means that drive!)

The original drive, that we're coppying from is NTFS and so is the new one. Partition commander doesn't want to copy anything to the new drive.

Anyone know what's going on?

Didn't you read my first post?
Also, W98 can NOT read any NTFS partitions, both W2K and XP can read FAT16/FAT32 as well.
The same goes for W95.

Install W2000, then you can copy from (old) NTFS to (new) FAT.

got past it!

My dad's a fast worker. Anyway, we've gotten the computer to boot and allow us to choose between drives. The only one that's got anything is the W2k drive so press enter and she fires up.

Problem... it goes through all the start up screens just fine, but when it's about to go to windows it goes to a blue screen

And I quote

"xxx STOP: 0X0000007B COx81879C30,OxC00014F, 0x00000000, 0x00000000) INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

If this is the first time you've seen this error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK to check for hard drive corruption and then restart your computer.

Refer to your Getting Started manual for move information on troubleshooting Stop Errors."

Well: restarting doesn't help
we're pretty sure there are no viruses on this brand new drive.... and doubt we're wrong, and there really no reason to believe there was any on the old one, since it starts just fine, so its doubtful we coppied one either.
Dad's pretty sure the configuration is correct.
We're not sure how to run CHKDSK without actually starting the computer (which it won't do!... unless we have the old drive in... hmmm...)
As far as the manual, I found the help manual online and it has a page about this problem that maybe we can try.... any ideas?

As I knew, win2000 support the largest hard disk is 130GB.
You can try install windows xp or window 2003 to support 200GB hard disk.

had that idea...

Dad said something about that too. So I resized the partition devoted to W2k to 125gig... no change though.

You have to set the first partition (C-drive) on that new harddisk to Active.
Boot from the W95/W98 bootfloppy and run FDISK to do that.
Take the floppy out and it should now boot up in a menu (found in C:\boot.ini) with W98/W2K
Copy and paste this boot.ini here.

Misunderstanding

I have set three partitions up on the drive, 135GB NTFS, 55GB FAT32, 2GB FAT16. I have copied my entire WIN2K operating system and all files into the NTFS partition. It boots up, after going through the partition commander shell and choosing the NTFS/WIN2K partition and gets past the F8 portion of WIN2K before crashing and giving me the blue screen, Inaccessible Boot Device.

not really THERE

We never actually installed 98 or 95 yet, just 2000, but it won't run. The other two are just set aside. I'm trying to set it up like you said for the future, but, understand, those drives for 98 and 95 are empty at the moment anyway, no files, no operating system, nothing. I'm pretty sure they shouldn't be interfering.

Thanks all for your input on those drives, and I'll keep it in mind, but do you know what might be happening with 2000? Why isn't it running properly?

Update: found that portions of the partitions were somehow damaged and therefore not being read properly so I deleted them all and am starting over making them again. I'm making the 95 system first, then the 98 then 2000 but I intend to intall 2000 onto its drive first (once its formed in the last position) (this is the son if you can't guess, I'm a bit of a novice, sorry) (I'm also making it run surface scan on each new drive while it makes them, just in case)... right so far?

(BTW, just to make sure you aren't confused, the system I've been communicating on, isn't the one I'm working on.)

Please read my posts again: you MUST install the oldest W95 OR W98 first, THEN install W2000. You can not leave space for W95/W98 and install W95/W98 after you installed W2000, it will NOT work!
You can also NOT have both W95 and W98, you will have to choose one of them! (at least NOT with the utilities you have now).

Maybe you should read this post: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic32273.html

okay

So then, you mean I should install 98 then 2000, not just make sure 98 is on C and 2000 on D. Right? (Had trouble understanding, sorry.)

Installing the third drive first causes problems? Might have guessed.

But I am reading you right that 98 should be C and 2000 D, right? Would it be better also if they were both FAT?

Anyway, I guess if I have to choose, it should be 98... will that run old dos games?

If you want DOS games, then as the very first thing, install MS-DOS 6.22 or better, MS-DOS 7 if you can still find it. Do this on the C-drive, which should be formatted in FAT32. Then install W98SE (not W98) on the same C-drive. This leaves full DOS intact and already creates a boot-menu with DOS and W98.
To keep everything compatible, also format the other partition(s) in FAT32, so every OS can read the other partitions.
You can install W2000 on any other partition or even harddisk you like.
(But you can NOT run that old W2000 from your old harddisk, it must be freshly installed.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back