Need help with usb external hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi there, me again... another problem...

i have a matrix 2.0 usb external hard drive. i have installed the driver that came along with it several times but the drive can not be accessed. it has its own power supply adapter.

when i plug it into the usb port, it shows up on the icon tray as "USB mass storage device". it does not appear on 'my computer'. when i click on 'disk management' in 'computer management - storage', it takes a long time to connect to the' logical disk manager' service, and the usb drive doesn't show up there either.

it does show up in 'device manager - disk drives' as a 'usb device'.

my os is on an ide drive, i just want to access files in the drive. when i try to boot with the usb drive attached, the computer hangs up.

help...

i checked the properties, it is at location 0. the current driver is from microsoft 5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158). when i try to update the driver using the cd which came along with the drive, i get this, "... cannot find a better match than the driver you have currently installed..." message.

help...

check jumper

From what you described, the hard drive is not reporting. In my limited experience, set the jumper to signify the drive is master. If this does not solve the problem, wait for the real experts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back