Need help with wireless network

Status
Not open for further replies.

mephisto_007

I have purchase a new D-Link Wireless ADSL Router to replace the old Linksys Router.

I had a USB Prolink wireless adapter and it working fine with D-Link Wireless Router only limited range. The question is how do i configure/use the old Linksys Router to act as a Access Point? (Though I cannot find any option on enabling it to Access Point at all on Linksys).

Linksys Router - Model Number BEFW11S4 V4
D-Link Router - Model Number DSL-G604T

A wireless router always acts as an access point if you enable the wireless functionality.

Connect the D-Link and Linksys via their LAN ports. Disable wireless on the D-Link and DHCP on the Linksys. Make sure the local IP addresses of the two routers don't collide and that the local network addresses are the same. If you can, disable the WAN port of the Linksys or at least set it to some mode that doesn't work for sure like PPPoE.

Nodsu said:
Disable wireless on the D-Link and DHCP on the Linksys.

Do i need to disable wireless on D-Link? cuz sometime i need to work close to that area.

Nodsu said:
Make sure the local IP addresses of the two routers don't collide and that the local network addresses are the same.

Local network the same as local IP, im not quite sure about this

Nodsu said:
If you can, disable the WAN port of the Linksys or at least set it to some mode that doesn't work for sure like PPPoE.

How do i disable WAN port of the Linksys, I didn't set the Internet connection on Linksys as PPPoE but to Automatic - is it incorrect?

You can leave the wireless on the D-Link but then you should make sure that the D-Link and Linksys use different channels.

In IP there are network addresses and device addresses. If your router has an IP 192.168.1.1 then the network address (by default) is 192.168.1.0 and the device address is 192.168.1.1. SInce you have routers from different vendors then you may have different network addresses.

Automatic will do. It will probably realise there is no WAN and won't try to do anything with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back