Need Help!!! Xp Created New List Of Program Files, Documents, Etc On Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I am running a NTFS file system with XP. I have been getting startup errors frequently lately, which are usually along the lines of

File Corrupt Or Missing:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

I fixed that problem using the the recovery console but when it started up I found that my program files list along with other things had nothing there, as if my computer had windows just installed on it. I thought this may have been another copy of windows installed but there is only one. When I go to C:\Documents and Settings I found that there was My old documents and settings folder, with all my stuff in it but there was also a new folder which was (account name).(computer name) and this folder only contains the standard folders, (my pictures my music etc.). I can't seem to figure out what's wrong. I can manually go to C:\program files and all my old programs are there and they seem to work fine.However the list in the program files directory does not match my list from the start menu. (start menu only has standard programs)

I would like to know how to delete the newly created (account name).(computer name) folder and run windows from my previous account ( My documents, pictures etc all link to the newly created folder) and how to repopulate my program files list with my old programs.

Any help will be greatly appreciated :)

When you fixed the /config/system missing or corrupt problem in the recovery console, where did you get the file from to replace it?

It sounds as though you used the file on from the installation/recovery cd?

for Win2000
for xp you can try to go to the user profile(old one ) and copy over to new profile
don't think you will get all back
re-install programs add the icons back to main programs folder menu
look at this fix xp profile

The reason I asked the question above is simply because if the replacement registry hive was copied from the CD it would effectively result in a new user account. If this were the case though, it might be possible to still try again, copying a backup of the old registry file (with all the old settings in it) from the system restore points from sometime before the problem ocurred.

Or you could try Samstoneds way. It's up to you.

Hi guys thanks for your input,

I did use the windows xp cd for the file recovery. I have since formatted my drive anyway and loaded on a fresh copy of windows, but I have been having this problem along with others for some time now. I think I might go out and buy a new HD :haha:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back