Need HiJack This log file analyzed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi -

Couple of weird things happened to my XP pro box after I failed to shut the machine down after a lightening storm

One strange thing is that after I log in and goto Task Manager --> users, there are no users listed. Then when I try to shutdown the system hangs at Saving User's Settings.

The other thing is when I open internet explorer, it is listed under processes in task manager but does not display, not even in the user tray.

Thanks for any suggestions/help.

Here is the log file.

Tom

OK thanks.. It is good to know at least it is not a piece of malicious software.

It suspect I may have a corrupted profile. I logged into the machine with administrator rights and created a new user, also with admin rights.
When I tried to log into that new user the system hung at the "Welcome" screen when trying to apply the personal settings.

Unfortunately I do not have "system restore" turned on so I cannot go back to a previous known configuration.

Any suggestions or utilities you recommend?

Thanks again for any help.

Tom

Sorry - thought you meant you did not see anything in the log.

I didn't rename the file to .txt before I did the attachment process.

I'm trying again.

Tom

Boot in Safe Mode.
Switch System restore OFF, see how here.
Next, run a HJT scan and (if still there) place a tick-mark in the little square before:

R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - _{CFBFAE00-17A6-11D0-99CB-00C04FD64497} - (no file)
O4 - Global Startup: Digital Line Detect.lnk = ?
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {AFC3FA82-AD07-45cd-8B57-983435B9899E} - (no file)
Fix ALL the O16 - DPF: entries

Now click on the Fix Checked button in HJT.
Delete all files and directories from: C:\WINDOWS\Temp (except files dated from TODAY).
Boot normal. When all OK, switch System Restore back on.

Hi -

Did as you instructed above.
After deleting entires I booted machine into normal mode and system still hangs at "Save system Settings" when shutting down.
Ran HijackThis a second time after making your changes and appended.
System Restore remains turned off
Thanks for the help.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back