Need HijackThis Log to be reviewed

Status
Not open for further replies.

wlknaack

I am researching a problem I have wherein the email servers are periodically being deactivated within the AVG Email Scanner (not within OE). As part of this research, can someone knowledgeable please review the attached HijackThis Log to see if there are any unwanted entries?

Attachments

• HijackThisLog 81205.txt
    6 KB · Views: 5
Boot in Safe Mode,
Switch System restore OFF, see how here.

Next, run a HJT scan and (if still there) place a tick-mark in the little square before:
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {0B53EAC3-8D69-4b9e-9B19-A37C9A5676A7} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - (no file)
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
Now click on the Fix Checked button in HJT.

Delete all files and directories from: C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Local Settings\Temp
Repeat this for ALL [usernames].
Delete all files and directories from: C:\WINDOWS\Temp (except files dated from TODAY).
Boot normal. When all OK, switch System Restore back on.

Don't know which parameters you have set in the SWOFF.EXE, they might interfere with your email scanning.

Response to RealBlackStuff

Followed your procedure and deleted both "(03) toolbar entries."

The entry "06-HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present" was not present in Safe Mode, but is present when in Normal Boot Mode. Question: Should I leave it alone or delete it while in Normal Boot Mode?

With regard to Switch Off: I only used the program for shutting down at a selected time. The options which were set are 1) run as a system service and 2) start with timer enabled. When I checked to see if some other options had been selected by the 2nd user, I found that I could not read the options window of switch off, it was so distorted. Consequently, I uninstalled switch off, ran a search and deleted all the related files which the uninstall program failed to remove. The system is clean of switch off.

You can fix that O6 in Normal Mode.

Can't see anything that immediately interferes with AVG.
Check your firewall settings, that they give AVG a free 'reign'.

You have an 'unholy' combination of Norton Systemworks, AVG and Kerio.
Make absolutely sure that NO part of Norton Antivirus or Norton Firewall or Norton Internet whatsoever is active!
AVG and Kerio together do an excellent job, and you don't want any interference from that bloatware maker Norton/Symantec!

Either way, you should consider changing over to Thunderbird Email from Mozilla.
Works very similar to OE, but is less susceptible to all the nasties that attack OE.

Reply to RealBlackStuff

Fixed the 06. Kerio settings for AVG are OK. There is no AntiVirus program installed within Norton System Works. I did have Norton Internet Security 2005, which I uninstalled and purged the system of all NIS residual files, and replaced it with Kerio & AVG.

I will now wait and see if the problem reappears before I do anything else. In any event, I just got a Bsod and, according to the stop error, it appears I have some driver problem. So I'm off to research another issue (unrelated to this subject).

Further info. for RealblackStuff

The problem reappeared. It occurred to me that the problem may be inherent in AVG, rather than a conflict with another operation. So I tested this theory by sending and receiving emails between user1 and user2, while user2 AVG was showing the email scanner as not fully functional, with both mail servers disabled. The emails were successfully sent and received, and the email certification was printed on each email received. Although AVG was showing the scanner not fully functional, with the email servers disabled, everything was working OK. Consequently, I uninstalled/reinstalled AVG and everything seems to be working just fine. If anything changes, I'll post the results. Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back