Need LAN connection

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a pc and 2 laptop at home which is connected to a wireless router. the pc was wired to the router and the laptops were connected wirelessly but my problem is to setup a LAN for all of the computer so that i can share the printer and scanner connected to the pc and also so that i share files between each computer. need help Here badly coz all of them had the same workgroup name but still they cant see eaqch other. i really dont know whats wrong.

What flavor of Windows is each machine running ,and list any firewall/netwrking software you are using.

:confused: The pc is running in windows xp home edition w/ service pack 1 and the 2 laptops were running in windows xp media center w/ service pack 2. I hope u can help me.

try disabling the firewall on the 2 running sp2.

some problems have been seen when networking xpsp2 because of windows firewall.

get an external from o/s firewall. i recommend zone alarm but its a personal preference.

there's possibly a physical or software switch on the router that needs to be set. what brand/model is it?

Home does not join a domain so there is no automatic logon.Do you have a USER with same name and password on each machine, and do you have Shares(Folder,Drive,Printer etc.) on each Machine that this user can logon to?

:knock: the router was linksys. the last tym did the lan connection it does work but for a cuple of days only its beween the pc and the one laptop but after that i dont know why the LAN Connection got disabled.

look on tha back of your router for a switch. one setting should be labeled with a || symbol and the other with an X. switch it over to the X setting. not all linksys models have this, but if they do it much be turned on for sharing files and such.

that switch is for cross over cable
disable dhcp in router make sure all pc's are on same workgroup name (not domain name)
by default you should see the shared docs folders
do not use dynamic ip addressing config each pc's nic manually lan ip's go something like this 192.168.1.56
last set of numbers can be changed up to 256
default mask 255.255.255.0
default lan 192.168.1.1
wan dns is going two have to sets look in the router under status

you know i've heard the same thing. but, even without a crossover cable, the switch seems to effect said resources. wierd...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back