Need Memory timmings help !!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimShady23

Well i posted this back in Feb and never got a hit on it. Maybe i will now lol. I have a Abit AN8 Ultra socket 939 and I am really confused about the Memory settings in the biios. It dont give me the normal 4 settings for timmings it gives me like 15 choices and I have no clue what they mean or how to even attempt to get the desired timmings I want set up correctly.

I have 4 dimms 512mb ea. of OCZ Gold PC3700 Gold Rev.3 memory.

The new motherboard gives me the option to run these puppies at their rated speed of 466mhz without having to raise the FSB up to the same....Just a voltage raise to 2.7 or 2.8v......

OCZ Rates this memory to run at 2.5-3-3-6 timings at 466mhz and that is what I want to set it at....But my bios automatically sets the timings a lot looser and I am not sure what settings to mess with to acheive my desired timings.....

Here are the choices my Bios gives me on the memory config screen. As I said before I am not sure what to change to accomplish the timmings I desire...And after I figure out what 4 settings to change what and the heck are the other 11 settings for and do i need to change them...????

Row Latency Time - 2.5

Row Cycle Time - 8 clocks

Row Refresh Cycle Time - 24 clocks

RAS# to CAS# Delay - 3 clocks

RAS# to RAS# Delay - 2 clocks

Min RAS# Active Time - 6 clocks

Ras Percentage Time - 6 clocks

Write Recovery Time - 2 clocks

Write to Read Delay - 2 clocks

Read to Write Delay - 4 clocks

DRAM Command Rate - 2T ( Gives the option of 1T Also)

Burst Leangth - 4 beats ( Can Change to 8 or 2 also)

Bank Interleaving - Enabled

32 Bit DRam Memory Hole - Auto ( Can change to Software, Hardware or Disable)

MTRR Mapping Mode: Continuous ( Can Change to discrete)

If some memory savy person can give me the rundown on what and the heck all these settings mean and do and how to set them to the desired timmings I desire would be greatly appreciated.......Thanks Guys

hi jim,

from what you posted, your timings are correct except for tRP (row precharge time). change that setting to 3. you will also want to change the command rate from 2T to 1T. then they will run at 2.5-3-3-6 (@1T)

the other 10 settings should be fine where they are. with all the settings, lower is better. you ultimately want to run them at the lowest number possible while maintaining a stable system. the only way to find out what they will run at is to experiment (change 1 value at a time, reboot and test for stability). it can be a painfully slow process, but if your goal is to run them as tight as possible then it is the only way.

one thing to keep in mind is that RAM can run at tighter timings when clocked lower, so if you were to run it at DDR466MHz, then it would have to run with slower timings. if you ran it at DDR400, then you may be able to run with timings even faster than what OCZ rated them for! (like 2-2-2-5 for example)

as for your memory clock speed... while it is possible to run your RAM faster than the FSB, there is little (if any) performance gained by doing so. generally, the only reason to put RAM faster than DDR400 in an Athlon64 setup is to overclock the CPU without having to use memory dividers.

for better performance, you could raise the FSB up to 233 which would run your RAM at it's rated DDR466, and maintain the optimal 1:1 CPU:RAM ratio. this would also overclock your CPU. if you left the multi at x11 and the CPU could handle it, you would almost have an FX-55!!

cheers :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back