Need some help/advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxbb1

just now.. due to my oc-ing my cpu has become mildly unstable (random complete freezes (rarely though)) first, i'd like to know how i can change the cpu voltage (i've still not been able where to manually do this) and secondly, what other reasons might i have for this...lameness...

temp is not an issue (im running at ~38 degrees (constantly))

I think cpu voltage can be reset if you reset the bios, and then change it slowly to get optimal results.
As for lameness, it could depend on the make, model, ocing capability, etc.

how do i reset the bios... (btw i ihave not actually changed the voltage yet, as i do not know where to do it... so i don't think i needs resetting...)

i'll post the exact stats when i get home (im at school now) BUT
so far i've had 2 total lockups with fsb @ 165 CPU @ ~3.47Ghz, Ram at... 210mhz (i think its only supposed to go to ... 200)(could that be a problem)

i had ONE (single) reset with fsb @ 160 (i think it was a one time thing and it might be safe at this point...) cpu @ 3.37Ghz RAM @ 200.1

i'm actually asking HOW to change the voltage lol

thanks anyway

maxbb1 said:
how do i reset the bios... (btw i ihave not actually changed the voltage yet, as i do not know where to do it... so i don't think i needs resetting...)

Open your PC, and remove the coin-shaped battery for around 5-10 minutes. That will reset your BIOS :)

i'm actually asking HOW to change the voltage lol

Check your BIOS, it should be in the same place where you change your FSB. Or in "Frequency & Voltage" or something similar.

I wouldn't recommend to change the CPU's voltage, because it WILL shorten the CPU's lifespan. Also, it will generate more heat :hotbounce.
You really need to be careful with the voltages.

i dont mind the shortening of life... its already 3 years old.. and i'm not too sure that there actually is the option to change the voltage... i think ive already looked for it in that section... hmmm... i'll have to look again... and heat is not a problem... its at... a bit less than 40 degrees as per normal so....

Edit: also, is there any risk to resetting the bios? (as in, is there a chance something may break... etc.) (and i mean a really really good chance... not a slight one.. slight is nothing to me lol)

maxbb1 said:
Edit: also, is there any risk to resetting the bios? (as in, is there a chance something may break... etc.) (and i mean a really really good chance... not a slight one.. slight is nothing to me lol)

Nothing to worry about mate :) It´s absolutely safe to reset the BIOS :)

gday mate i wouldnt worrie about a thing. the voltages will remain the same. so leave it alone it sounds ok to me,are u actually experiencing malfunctions?
you must be talking about the clock multiplier which is adjusted using the old jumper method. freezing could possibly be due to overclocking the cpu, or better yet it may just need a reboot. my sayng is that "a slow pc is a working pc" and you should consider yourself lucky.

hah... a slow pc doesn't cut it for me... i like to game... a LOT lol

im actually asking to INCREASE the voltages... them remaining the same is not what i want lol... i'm trying to stabilise i do need to increase the multiplyer (i've already pushed the RAM too far i think) (and yes im familiar with doing that)...

i have already said that i have been overclocking, and that it has been malfunctioning by being pushed... (frankly i'd rather hit a temperature barrier than a malfunction barrier)

yes rebooting it made it work fine... but thats just a hassle lol

i actually want to see how far i can push this pc without melting it... its not too much of a biggie if it does though... its probably a (i calculated it to be ~) $500-$600... if that... and thats running it on stuff like... DDR RAM (the overpriced pos)... however.. im quite happy with my hitting 3.5ghz... but i'd much rather keep it at that... i really loved my benchmark scores lol

According to your specs, you´d have a LOT more performance, if you change that onboard video card, to a better card. You don't necessarily have to spend more than 100 dlls to get a good one.

maxbb1 said:
hah... a slow pc doesn't cut it for me... i like to game... a LOT lol

im actually asking to INCREASE the voltages... them remaining the same is not what i want lol... i'm trying to stabilise i do need to increase the multiplyer (i've already pushed the RAM too far i think) (and yes im familiar with doing that)...

i have already said that i have been overclocking, and that it has been malfunctioning by being pushed... (frankly i'd rather hit a temperature barrier than a malfunction barrier)

yes rebooting it made it work fine... but thats just a hassle lol

i actually want to see how far i can push this pc without melting it... its not too much of a biggie if it does though... its probably a (i calculated it to be ~) $500-$600... if that... and thats running it on stuff like... DDR RAM (the overpriced pos)... however.. im quite happy with my hitting 3.5ghz... but i'd much rather keep it at that... i really loved my benchmark scores lol
im not too sure but is it possible to increase the cpu voltage from bios setup?
i have a p4p800se deluxe mobo and the bios allows me to make special modifications to the cpu. from experience i know that an increase in voltage in the cpu will cause system instability. for years now the aim in cpu manufacturing has been to ++DECREASE THE VOLTAGE++ hence reducing heat build-up and instability. if its not too much of a prob try riging up two wires one onto pin#0+ and one onto pin#63- and plug it into youre main power socket "IT WILL INDEFINITLY INCREASE YOUR CPU VOLTAGE LOL"

NO REALLY. i dont advise on increased voltages. buzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!

wolfram said:
According to your specs, you´d have a LOT more performance, if you change that onboard video card, to a better card. You don't necessarily have to spend more than 100 dlls to get a good one.

yea i have had a massive increase... my SANDRA scores are:

Arithmetic:
Non-OC: 6240 MIPS, 5215 MFLOPS
Max reached:7305MIPS+ 6096MFLOPS+

Memory Bandwidth:
Non-OC: Int ALU 2143mb/s Float FPU 2215mb/s
Max Reached: Int ALU 3208mb/s+ Float FPU 3231mb/s+

most of the scores are like this lol

but... due to my having to tone that down a tad.. its a little lower

im planning on buying a real GFX card off ebay... $60 AUD plus p&h (i only have PCI so... FX5500 it is lol)

yea i know increasing the voltages is bad for the system... but i'm not going to go from 1.4-2 or some largeness like that, and im trying to increase the CPU's stability at really high clocks (i.e. making me able to o-c it to my previous levels rather than my current..(3257mhz) lol) (yea still not bad... but i liked it more efore haha

If you can find a 6200 PCI, would be the best PCI card available. If not, a FX5500 would be the best choice. Make sure you don't get a FX5200, they´re crap.

i cant find any 6200's on staticice and there are none on ebay that ship to aus.. and yea ima try n get a 5500

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back