Need some help with Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All.

I'm dealing with some issues related to device drivers and I was hoping some of you more experienced guru's could help me find inner peace and a solution to my problems.

My PC: Laptop (clone) running xp-pro, intel centrino mobile technology

Quick summary: Last week I had to reformat my hard drive with GeekSquad due to a terrible virus that I recieved while using the P2P file sharing network on LimeWire. Started with pop-ups galore and then my system reg file was altered and I was no longer able to access my .exe files and applications.

Before reformatting, I had XP Home edition running on my laptop. I had audio/video card working, intel wireless working great. After reformatting my hard drive and going with XP PRO I have nothing near the laptop I use to have just a week ago. Example:

1 - My volume control is no longer available. My Audio/Video card driver is gone...and I don't know what kind of card I have.

2 - I use to log on to XP Home and go to "connect to" in my start menu to bring up my intel wireless adapter via windows network connections and now my wireless card driver is gone. I don't have my software that came with the laptop. All I have now, is a wireless card and no way to use it.

3- When I try and play a DVD in Windows media player, it says something about my computer not having the needed codecs.

When I go into the device manager, there are about 6 devices with a yellow question mark.... I'm sure thats part of the problem. Can someone help me figure out what I need to do? I'm a college kid that relys on having wireless network access, dvd playback and audio controls available.

By the way, GeekSquad forgot to tell me (a newbie who knew nothing about loosing data from reformatting) about the fact that I would need to backup drivers and settings. ! :( ! Not very happy with those folks.

Thanks for any help.

Josh R. / San Jose, CA

Information about my Laptop:

Thank you for responding. I ran the application and the following info was given about my Laptop.

Name: Intel Pentium M

Specification: Intel Pentium M processor 1500MHz

Motherboard: Intel 855GM

BIOS Brand: COMPAL V2.00

Does this info help?

Thank you!

no such luck.

I really appreciate you pointing me to the link. Unfortunately the download link isn't working. I tried searching google for "Intel 855GM Chipset Utility 6.2.0.1005" and most the websites I've been to use the station-drivers website as a download mirror.

Any ideas? So, by downloading the chipset for my laptop, what issues might be solved?

Thank you again.

Josh R.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back