Need some ideas.. badly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kryxx

My system Specs:

Mobo : asus p5nsli
gpu : bfg geforce 8800 GTS 640mb oc
memory : OCZ SLI Ready pc6400 DDR2 Dual Channel (800mhz)
sound : X-FI Xtreme Gamer (creativelabs) PCI soundcard

Ive been doing some testing on all things that could be causing my bsod errors, one of them was my old audio (onboard) which i rectified. But now, I noticed that my new memory that I just popped in awhile ago was reading at : 5-5-5-15 T2 when the specs are supposed to be 4-4-4-15 T1. I have all the current bios/driver updates and no conflicting versions. I went in and manually set the correct timings and voltage as listed by the manufacturer.

Would this mis-configuration cause hangups and crashes? It's the only hardware I can think of that could be the problem.

I will post some dump files shortly after this recent change.

This was the one I got before Trying these new settings :

* Bugcheck Analysis *

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (a)
An attempt was made to access a pageable (or completely invalid) address at an
interrupt request level (IRQL) that is too high. This is usually
caused by drivers using improper addresses.
If a kernel debugger is available get the stack backtrace.
Arguments:
Arg1: 40e38004, memory referenced
Arg2: 00000002, IRQL
Arg3: 00000000, bitfield :
bit 0 : value 0 = read operation, 1 = write operation
bit 3 : value 0 = not an execute operation, 1 = execute operation (only on chips which support this level of status)
Arg4: 8054510c, address which referenced memory

Debugging Details:
------------------

READ_ADDRESS: 40e38004

CURRENT_IRQL: 2

FAULTING_IP:
nt!WmiTraceMessageVa+73
8054510c 8b5504 mov edx,dword ptr [ebp+4]

CUSTOMER_CRASH_COUNT: 1

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: DRIVER_FAULT

BUGCHECK_STR: 0xA

PROCESS_NAME: Idle

LAST_CONTROL_TRANSFER: from badbed8e to 8054510c

STACK_TEXT:
80550134 badbed8e 889946f8 889946f8 87e425a0 nt!WmiTraceMessageVa+0x73
WARNING: Frame IP not in any known module. Following frames may be wrong.
80550150 00000000 88168a30 804f1518 89c964e0 0xbadbed8e

STACK_COMMAND: kb

FOLLOWUP_IP:
nt!WmiTraceMessageVa+73
8054510c 8b5504 mov edx,dword ptr [ebp+4]

SYMBOL_STACK_INDEX: 0

SYMBOL_NAME: nt!WmiTraceMessageVa+73

FOLLOWUP_NAME: MachineOwner

MODULE_NAME: nt

IMAGE_NAME: ntoskrnl.exe

DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP: 41107b0d

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: 0xA_nt!WmiTraceMessageVa+73

BUCKET_ID: 0xA_nt!WmiTraceMessageVa+73

Followup: MachineOwner
---------

Heres a dump after those settings :

* Bugcheck Analysis *

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (a)
An attempt was made to access a pageable (or completely invalid) address at an
interrupt request level (IRQL) that is too high. This is usually
caused by drivers using improper addresses.
If a kernel debugger is available get the stack backtrace.
Arguments:
Arg1: b0236144, memory referenced
Arg2: 0000001c, IRQL
Arg3: 00000000, bitfield :
bit 0 : value 0 = read operation, 1 = write operation
bit 3 : value 0 = not an execute operation, 1 = execute operation (only on chips which support this level of status)
Arg4: 804dc83f, address which referenced memory

Debugging Details:
------------------

READ_ADDRESS: b0236144

CURRENT_IRQL: 1c

FAULTING_IP:
nt!KeWaitForSingleObject+13d
804dc83f 85be24010000 test dword ptr [esi+124h],edi

CUSTOMER_CRASH_COUNT: 3

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: DRIVER_FAULT

BUGCHECK_STR: 0xA

PROCESS_NAME: VGClient.exe

LAST_CONTROL_TRANSFER: from 804e21e3 to 804dc83f

STACK_TEXT:
af2d4974 804e21e3 87b598e0 00000000 87b59870 nt!KeWaitForSingleObject+0x13d
af2d49bc 805701b4 00000001 af2d4bf0 00000001 nt!Dr_kitf_a+0x3a
af2d4d48 804ddf0f 00000001 0f66fea0 00000001 nt!SeCreateClientSecurity+0x4c
af2d4d5c 00000000 0f66ff14 7c90eb94 badb0d00 nt!ZwSetBootEntryOrder+0xc

STACK_COMMAND: kb

FOLLOWUP_IP:
nt!KeWaitForSingleObject+13d
804dc83f 85be24010000 test dword ptr [esi+124h],edi

SYMBOL_STACK_INDEX: 0

SYMBOL_NAME: nt!KeWaitForSingleObject+13d

FOLLOWUP_NAME: MachineOwner

MODULE_NAME: nt

IMAGE_NAME: ntoskrnl.exe

DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP: 41107faa

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: 0xA_nt!KeWaitForSingleObject+13d

BUCKET_ID: 0xA_nt!KeWaitForSingleObject+13d

Followup: MachineOwner
---------

didnt seem to do the trick, Any suggestions on what to try? Its gotta be hardware I know that.

Edit : trying 1 stick of ram to see if its that. ( i know it says driver fault but I wouldnt know which damn driver it is =\ just goin through the steps )

check if your processor is supported by your mobo bios if not go on the mobo companys website and dl the bios then reflash your bios. and youll be all set. ive seen this driver not equal or less prob before try that dude and good luck to you. and if anything MAKE SURE YOU REFLASH YOUR BIS RIGTH other wise you wont ever boot up again.

This is a very common error. There is a lot of information available at www.microsoft.com in the knowledgebase... and from the results of all the search engines.

Normally, you would never get the error from a sound card unless it was so severely defective that it was emitting spurious responses.

Commonly, it is a driver error more than any other cause... wrong driver... go back to an earlier one or a later one.

Check your BIOS to be sure it is the latest... as well as the chipset drivers...

Updating the BIOS is extremely risky... use the floppy drive install version if you have a floppy drive, but do not run it on a rainy day where there is lightning or any risk at all of power failure. New BIOS of new motherboards are seldom dangerous, and can be reflashed. But older boards or BIOS from Asian countries can still be one of the most risky maneuvers you can make on a motherboard.

And the BIOS is seldom the cause of the BSOD.

1, How is your memory configured?

2. Asus boards are well known to being very picky about RAM. The following is a quote from a PCAuthority review concerning your board:

"The P5NSLI won’t support some types of performance RAM: you can only give modules up to 2.1V when some require 2.2V. You’re free to adjust latencies as much as you want, though, and can also set a 1T Command Rate (the pause between one RAM-based action and the next) for a small speed boost."

welll, the ram is a 2.1v 4-4-4-15-t1 which seems to be ok. I was able to manually set the timings and voltage accordingly in the bios.

As to the bios version, I successfully flashed it earlier today to the most current update from the asus website. Was pretty easy and quick.

I'm thinking it may be the nForce Chipset Drivers. I'm using the current ones off the nvidia site for the nForce 570 (myboard) since I could not find them on the asus page for my boards download section. I do however, have my mobo installation cd w/ drivers and can try out that version aswell. (will give that a shot.)

If that doesnt work, I can try using a previous version of drivers for my 8800 GTS.

Atm I have 1 stick of ram in and I havent run into any problems just yet. Will update Soon, I appreciate the responses as Ive been trying to figure this out for quite some time now and its getting really frustrating =\

Kryxx,

1. Yes, by all means there might be issues with your chipset drivers. Perhaps updating might take care of your conflicts.

2. Nvidia Forceware drivers for their 8800 cards have been giving many people fits. I strongly suggest finding your current driver # and google it to see the reviews of said driver.

3. As for your RAM, does the Asus official site about your board mention OCZ as one of the recommended brands?

Still having issues, tried upgrading to the beta version drivers for my gpu, and using the chipset drivers off my mobo disc to no avail. Gonna post in the asus forums to see if theirs any compatability issues goin round and hope for some answers :(

so frustrating..

OCZ has only been in business a short time. They make very little of their own memory. The quality of OCZ memory swings more widely than most. OCZ is mainly a marketing company out of Singapore which bought out a small Canadian company then loaded up the market with good reviews... but a tremendous amoung of their memory now is third tier that changes from month to month. When they sell Value Ram and low density, the chips are not even the same from quarter to quarter. I recommend you avoid OCZ products at all times.
Get Kingston, Crucial, Infineon, Samsung, Toshiba, Corsair, Siemens... which all have several levels of quality and speed. The modules should match, and it is possible to get matched pairs for no increase in price from such sites as www.newegg.com and www.zipzoomfly.com

Your second dump has crashed at IRQL 1c and ntoskrnl.exe, this is a sign of a hardware problem. Set the RAM to 'By SPD' in the BIOS, then check what it's set to in Windows. Can you provide a link to your RAM?

Thanks for this important information, raybay. This kind of info, IMO, is invaluable. I never knew this about OCZ. A year ago this brand was the rage for many builder. Much appreciated.

raybay said:
OCZ has only been in business a short time. They make very little of their own memory. The quality of OCZ memory swings more widely than most. OCZ is mainly a marketing company out of Singapore which bought out a small Canadian company then loaded up the market with good reviews... but a tremendous amoung of their memory now is third tier that changes from month to month. When they sell Value Ram and low density, the chips are not even the same from quarter to quarter. I recommend you avoid OCZ products at all times.
Get Kingston, Crucial, Infineon, Samsung, Toshiba, Corsair, Siemens... which all have several levels of quality and speed. The modules should match, and it is possible to get matched pairs for no increase in price from such sites as www.newegg.com and www.zipzoomfly.com

This seems to be a big one today.

ntoskrnl.exe is not the hardware problem unless it has been overwritten by an infestation. ntoskrnl.exe should not be disabled or removed because it is necessary for regular applications to work correctly. This would merely mean that there is an hardware error affecting that location.

You can determine whether ntoskrnl.exe is a virus or a legitimate Windows process by examining the directory location from which it executes.

It can, however, give evidence of an infestation of trojan, virus, or spyware. So scan your system with top quality security software to determine if you have security threats that have invaded your computer. The scanning software will normally include ntoskrnl.exe.

Yes, it has been a clever marketing problem. They have the capability of being the best. Lets hope they decide to be a high end supplier under that label, because their sales took a marvelous leap when they came out at the top of the pile for memory reviews at www.tomshardware.com and www.anandtech.com.

Unfortunately we have seen a lot of bad memory in the past six months, and absolutely worthless power supplies, not made by them, but merely labeled by them. They are big enough, because they are a consortium, to engineer and perform quality control of anything they sell.

Trust is the big word nowadays. Which company can we trust if their quality and reliability slides up and down? Only a few: Adaptec, APC, Kingston, Crucial, Cisco, Infineon, Thinkpad,

But look at Belkin. Even the same products are not the same over a period of time or in different parts of the US and Europe. Or the slide of D-Link, Best Data, LinkSys, Gateway... there are investors who are always mining for the well managed companies they can buy up, then gut, and resale... taking all the worth out of a good name.

We have to demand quality if we expect to get it.

I made a post on the asus forums to check for an incompatibilities w/ my hardware and was told that my memory was not supported. So I think I just found my culprit. Gonna RMA this back to tigerdirect and hopefully buy a new kit that is supported!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back