Need some Ideas Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

fastco

I have an old Panasonic ToughBook CF-28 with no internal CD drive. Hard drive went bad so I replaced it. I have an internal floppy drive and an external USB DVD/CD drive. I would like to put Linux or Windows (whichever is easier) on the drive. Any ideas on how to get the external USB drive to run so I can install an operating system? I tried a Windows ME Boot Disk which let me format and partition the disk but that was it. I read somewhere about adding USB drivers to the floppy and modifying the Config.sys file but is there an easier way?
Thank you in advance!!

check if your system supports booting from USB.if yes,then there's an option in your BIOS boot sequence menu.if not,look for BIOS update.

then try this:

Connect your USB drive to your computer,if you're using a HUB,take it off,
plug it directly.Shut down your computer, disconnect any other hard disk drives from it, and insert your original Windows XP CD into the drive.from there,proceed to the installation of windows,and check the section where you are allowed to pick a hard drive.

i have'nt tried it yet but a friend of mine gave this intructions a year ago,you can try & please let us know if successful.

Thanks but no my computer does not have the boot from usb or removable drive option. If it did this would be easy. It's an old Panasonic Toughbook. Thanks for the reply though!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back