algoespanol

So far, I am planning on using these parts:

(Motherboard) Abit NF-M2
(CPU) AMD Athlon 64X2 3800
(Video Card) GeForce 8800 Ultra
(Memory) Corsair Dominator 8500C5D 2GB RAM
(Hard Drive) Seagate 320 GB SATA-300
(DVD/CD Drive) Lite-on 20x DVD Drive-Lightscribe

I have found this case. I like it mainly because it comes with a free 600 W power supply. However, I'm not sure if this should be enough power or if I should get more. ALso, any other suggestions would be great. Thanks.

You could probably run this rig off a good 250 watt supply...

Go with what you have. It will do fine

250W is GROSSLY underpowered for most modern PCs. Google PSU calculator and add 30% to the results. I wouldn't run a new system on anything less than 450W. Run your system underpowered and you can do some damage. KNOW what you need. Use a free PSU calculator. There are many out there.

LOL Tmagic the 8800 Ultra probably uses up 250W or more on its own! =P
As for the OP, don't buy from eBay. It's not a very good idea. I'd rather you get this good-quality PSU and any other case of your choice rather than buy an el cheapo PSU that has the potential to ruin your system when it blows.

One more thing. That 8800 Ultra will be seriously bottlenecked by an X2 3800+. You'd need at least an X2 5000+ to remove that bottleneck.

I believe in getting as much as I can afford. You will always be upgrading and needing more power down the road. Yeah, that Ultra needs some serious amperage to work right. Components rely on each other's quality. Like the chain and the weakest link theory. I agree regarding the cpu, in the processor dept. I say get more than you can afford. Better that then being frustrated later and having to buy a better one anyway.

You guys really don't understand switching power supplies do you...

With the price drops, so drops the quality of the supplies. Less heatsink area, cheaper parts and thinner boards. A 250 watt power supply out of a 5 to 7 year old Compaq or IBM desktop could easily run a computer rated at 500 watts today. I could take a quality $450 watt supply and mod it to run cool and solid at 1000 watts!

Ah, a switching-mode PSU. Now that's a completely different beast. You weren't very clear on it earlier but now, I gotta agree with you. Those are probably the most efficient PSUs available.

Yes Rage_3K_Moiz,

All ATX and even those Laptop power adapters are switch-mode power supplies... We call them switching supplies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back