Need to "blow up" my computer and reinstall windows...

Status
Not open for further replies.

regaldozer

Is there a good program to use to save all my data and settings before I wipe the hard drive? I have a good sized external drive to back up but is doing it manually the best way? I want to make sure all my settings, favorites, photos etc are saved.....
Any suggestions or am i looking at an all nighter backing up files, the re-installing XP, the loading programs, then re-installing data

I sure hope not...

thanks
Steve

You haven't mentioned why you are wiping the drive.. Are you infected with malware or are you simply upgrading your hard drive??

Be sure to use a good rubber nozzle so you don't damage your lippers... this is more difficult than a party balloon.
Manually is good IF you know where everything is... the problem is that many people mistake where Palm files, Quickbooks files, Outlook data, and others are stored.
Your internet application may have ways to save your email... and those in your Documents in settings are easy.
There is a lot of software in the $30 range that will go a good job... but if you want it done right, do a Google search for backup software. I like Acronis products a lot.
Think carefully about what you need to save... as many of us forget something critical because it is too obvious at the same time it is too hidden.

backup advise

For email, I use an off site exchange server so that is not an issue. For my business program it has a backup and restore utility so that is not an issue. at issue is the little things, documets, photos bookmarks. I have most things in my documents but I am worried about missing things

I am reformatting the hard drive due to performance issues. I also think the photos of the kids are hogging space, so I plan on leaving them on the external drive anyway...

but i dont want to miss anything

If you think a reformat/reinstall is the only way to improve your performance then backup software will not really help.. You can simply copy your data files (pictures, music, documents etc) to your external hard drive.. Before you do wipe the drive take an inventory of your system, apps, drivers etc. As for email do you leave the messages on your server or are they downloaded to your email client.. If the latter is the case you should back those up as well and dont forget your bookmarrks, contacts/addresses. As a good practice you should always keep your important data in one folder (My Documents) and use sub folders under that.. Some applications will store data under their own folder under Program Files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back