Need to convert Floppy image to CD image

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok here's the problem. There is a course at my college for Criminal Justice that takes a floppy with deleted files on it and undeletes them to show the students... what ever.

So I have to create exact images of this floppy so that the deleted files will be copied as well as the regular files. I did this using the dd command in Linux. I created a .img file that when used to create a new floppy has every bit of data from the original. Works great. But we have to create a rather absurd number of these disks for the class, so many so that it’s really not an option to do it floppy by floppy. But we do have an automatic CD burner which could do them all in like 30 minutes.

So I need a way to convert the image file I have (.img) of the floppy to a CD image. I’ve tried lots of programs so far, magicISO, ultraISO, and another command in Linux used for making bootable CDs out of bootable floppies which I thought I could trick, but it is smarter them me I guess. In the programs I tried both converting it from .img to .iso and just straight burning it. None of it worked.

Any way I’ve tried everything I can think of, so does anyone know of a program or command or anything that would convert a floppy image to a CD image?

Just to let you know that if you need to have a CD or DVD that must be used as a boot loader then you have to use a floppy that can be used to boot your computer then from this point you have to find a S/W like NERO BURNING ROM. As soon as that you will have your S/W ready then create a CD or DVD / BOOT project. Now put your floppy in the floppy driver and start burning... if all is OK then you have a CD or DVD with a BOOT area... BOOT your computer with your CD or DVD and enjoy. :hotbounce

You cannot make a CD image out of a floppy image. Yes, you can use a floppy image to make a bootable CD (a floppy drive will be emulated during bootup) but you will have no access to the contents of that image normally.

Even if you could make a CD image out of a floppy image the CD fileystem is radically different from the FAT filesystem you use on the floppy.

What you could do is just burn the .img files to the CDs and mount the floppy image files to do your stuff. Naturally you cannot write the modified image back to the CD so one would have to copy the image to a local hard disk.
Virtual floppy drive for Windows: http://chitchat.at.infoseek.co.jp/vmware/vfd.html
In Unix/Linux the capability is builtin of course.

hhhmmm... well that sucks it's not possible. Your idea would be good usualy but this is for a class of completely none techy people. We can't have them mounting virtual drives and such. Oh well... guess I need to start coppying floppies! Thanks for answering though! Atleast now I won't keep looking!

In Windows, once you set up the driver, the mounting procedure is to just double-click the image file..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back