Need to determine my ASUS motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skutty

Hey everyone,
I need to determine what my motherboard is ASAP. I'll give you everything I know about it, but I've been searching the web and haven't been able to find anything...

ASUS Brand, it came in a HP Pavilion
Pentium 4 (Not sure what slot)
4 DDR RAM Slots
1 PCI-E x16 Slot
3 PCI Slots
Orange/Yellow in colour.
RAM Slots are Blue, Red, Blue, Red

The reason I need to know is I have no idea how to configure my System Panel Connectors, as I am trying to fit the board into a new case.

Thank you in advance for your help,
Skutty.

Oh sorry, I forgot to mention that the computer it is in I cannot turn on, I need to do this with the motherboard it self.
The computer was bought last christmas.

a way to see what mobo is look at the mobo. Sometimes the model will be prnited on the board itself. You can also run program such as everest, sometimes it will tell you what mobo it is.

I've entered all the numbers and letters I see on the board into Google search and the ASUS website search, and nothing. The computer the board is in does not function, so I cannot use any programs for this.

Look on the motherboard near the base of the pins for very small printed letters that may correspond to the abbreviations printed on the connectors. If they are there, you can match them up.

hmm.. do u kno what model ur computer is? u said its an HP Pavilion.. can u tell us whats printed on the case itself? it should be at the front.. companies like HP are propietary so u will rarely find what kinda crap they put in there on google.

The following is printed in between the pins and the label reading FRONT_PANEL
CB390Q88 Q4
R647 C241D92

No idea what it means though.
It doesn't have the model printed on the case anywhere, but it was purchased last christmas and is dark blue with silver in colour.

Case numbers

Skutty said:
I've entered all the numbers and letters I see on the board into Google search and the ASUS website search, and nothing. The computer the board is in does not function, so I cannot use any programs for this.

The Pavilion Model and serial #sshould do the trick, but you'll probly have to go to the HP website to get the info with 'em. I had a Compaq bundle with an MSI mobo, got the model # from Compaq, then went to the MSI site to look for the updates/flashes for the BIOS, they informed me that that mobo did not exist.

What happens is, HP (& others) will place an order with a mfr for so many mobos with certain features. ASUS, or whoever, turns 'em out, then that's it. All info, updates, support, etc. has to come from HP, because, though that mobo WAS made by ASUS, it becomes an HP board. ASUS probly never made that board before the order, and none since.

HP, however, will have the info, if you'll give them the model & serial numbers. I was able to download and print pictures of my MSI from the Compaq. Since Hp owns Compaq, I would expect the same results.

Good luck- :D

hewybo said:
The Pavilion Model and serial #sshould do the trick, but you'll probly have to go to the HP website to get the info with 'em. I had a Compaq bundle with an MSI mobo, got the model # from Compaq, then went to the MSI site to look for the updates/flashes for the BIOS, they informed me that that mobo did not exist.

And good news, I just found the model and serial number! I'll ask them, but my only worry is that on the HP case, the Front Panel connectors are all in one big block of cables, where as this new case has them individually. And the HP ones are not colour coded. I wonder if they'd give me that information knowing I was taking their products from their case?

EDIT: By the way it's a Pavilion t760a.

EDIT AGAIN: Found it, but not sure where to find what I need. Also it when I tried to "Contact HP", it said they don't accept support e-mails.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=ns&dlc=en&product=435847&docname=c00208497

That won't be the problem. That plug is proprietary, custom made for HP. There MIGHT be info from them, but when I replaced the MSI mobo in my old Compaq case, I just traced the wires to where they originated, then cut and connected accordingly. If you're putting the mobo in a new case, then just trace the wires out of the HP plug to what they power, and wherever they are configured on the plug, plug in the new cases wires to that spot on the mobo. As I remember, one of the OEM plugs had a connection with two wires together, and the new case had a three hole connector, so I pulled the one out, stuch it in the center (empty) hole, and everything lit up fine. It's a might bit tedious, but if you get no pics from HP, I bet you can trace them out.

That sounds like a great idea, that URL in my last post does contain a picture and diagram, but says nothing about the front panel connectors actual positions. I'll try the tracing now.

By the way, you may not "own" Windows, but you DO own that mobo, case, and other hardware. Even Hp ain't crappy enough to withhold info from ya. I had extremely satisfactory support from them, even after my warranty expired. Best o' Luck!

Thank you so much for that advice! :grinthumb I traced the old power button cable, and the motherboard has turned on! Now I can continue with rebuilding the computer, thank you all who helped! :D

Sounds good, I'll be sure to check it out with future issues.

I just have one last question, along with this new case, I've installed a new power supply, and the cable from the power supply to the motherboard seems to have four less pins than the motherboard connector, yet it still fits - leaving the four pins unconnected - and the motherboard and fans come to life, so I'm just checking if this is fine or if I should seek another motherboard power cable. The power supply is an XConnect, so it's modular.

yea its fine like that. I have only 20 pins connected too (I can connect 24 though) I believe connecting the extra 4 pins is for more power and stability when your OC'ing and/or have a lotta crap goin on in ur motherboard.. U should be fine with 20 pins in there. There are 20-to-24 pin adapters out there if u ever need or want one.

20/24 pins

Skutty said:
Sounds good, I'll be sure to check it out with future issues.

I just have one last question, along with this new case, I've installed a new power supply, and the cable from the power supply to the motherboard seems to have four less pins than the motherboard connector, yet it still fits - leaving the four pins unconnected - and the motherboard and fans come to life, so I'm just checking if this is fine or if I should seek another motherboard power cable. The power supply is an XConnect, so it's modular.

Newegg has the adapter for two or three bucks. The shipping is as much as the item. If you have a local walk-in like Fry's, or Comp USA, they usually have them. I have the same power supply. Many on this forum cite the "hardforum" website, which says they (XConnect) are lousy. I did have to RMA my first one, but they replaced it- w/ no problems- and this one is working great. Ample, stable power. I did install the 20 to 24 pin adapter, though I've heard just using the 20 pin cable is OK- but I try to err on the side of caution.

Glad you got 'er goin! :bounce:

10-4

Glad to help.
Yah, this forum is one-of-a-kind, as near as I can tell. I was lucky to discover it. BTW- I just noticed (DUH!) that you're down under. Probly no Fry's, and CompUSA is out of the question! Maybe CompAUS?

Happy Christmas, my good man! :p :wave: :giddy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back