Need to downgrade from WMP 10 to 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
I upgraded to WMP 10 without thinking. It turns out my Harmon Kardon USB to SPDIF audio convertor does not support WMP 10 and they do not intend to create an upgrade. They product has been discontinued. I don't want to have to buy new hardware. Anyone have any idea how to get rid of WMP 10 and go back to 9? Of course there is nothing on the Microsoft site that is of any use.

You can use either Add or Remove Programs or System Restore to roll back to the previous version of the Player that was part of your original version of Windows. To roll back from Windows Media Player 10 to a previous version using Add or Remove Programs, do the following:
In Control Panel (Category View), click Add or Remove Programs.
2. Click Add or Remove Programs again, and then do one of the following:
o
If you are running Windows XP Service Pack 2, select the Show updates check box (at the top of the list), click Windows Media Player 10, and then click Change/Remove.
- or -
o
If you are running Windows XP Service Pack 1 or earlier, click Windows Media Player 10, and then click Change/Remove.

To roll back from Windows Media Player 10 to a previous version using System Restore, see the Use System Restore to Undo Changes if Problems Occur Web page.

You can also remove access to Windows Media Player by using the Set Program and Access Defaults feature. Note that this only removes links to the Player. It does not remove the Windows Media Player software. To remove access to Windows Media Player, do the following:
In Control Panel, double-click Add or Remove Programs.
Click the Set Program and Access Defaults button, and then choose a configuration (such as "Non-Microsoft" or "Custom").

Thanks

That worked great. Everything is up and running. It also answered some questions I've had about Windows XP. Thank-you

I'm seriously considering doing this. By downgrading am i going to lose all my media i have copied onto the player? Will they be back on the windows media player 9 after i download it? Thank you.

I don't think you will lose anything, regalma can probably tell you for sure. I would think all you would have to do is run the search for media gui to add it all back into mp9. Play-lists too if you know where they are stored, it may find those on it's own it they are kept in the same folder for mp9.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back