Need to move HD with XP Pro to computer running WIN98SE

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son's older Gateway computer seems to have crashed when he tried to add a slave drive. It won't fully boot, can't get into the bios. I'm confident the original drive with XP Pro installed is fine. I have a HP Pavilion 6635 runing WIN 98SE and want to try to intall the XP drive from the Gateway over to the HP. Any ideas how to do this without losing everything on the XP drive? I'd be happy to figure out how to install the XP drive in the HP as a slave just to save all his MP3's and loops onto a CD(s), the do a re-install of XP.

If I can't get this figured out I'll never hear the end from BIO-DAD who put the Gateway together in the first place.

Thanks!

Just put the XP drive as a slave into the 98SE computer.

You will need some sort of an NTFS reader or driver for Windows 98 to be able to read the XP drive contents.

Will give it a try

I'll give it a try, found a NTFS reader. A friend took the HD with XP and added it as a slave it in his computer running XP. The drive looks fine, just can't get into one of my sons folders where he stored a lot of his stuff. We keep getting an "access denied" error after trying to change the security and sharing settings.

You can get past the NTFS security by taking ownership of the pesky folder as the administrator.

The NTFS file system stores security information in the file system. This increases security, but also gives you problems like the one you are experiencing. Chances are, your user account had a password and that is what causes this.

Since stepdad is using a combination of Windows 98 and some sort of NTFS patch software, I doubt there is a way to take ownership of files.

Most likely you'll need to have access to a computer with Windows 2000 or XP (recommended). And whether or not you can use 98 or not, getting ahold of XP will probably be the easiest way to deal with it.

If that isn't an option, I'd search around the net and see if you can come with some sort of software that can take ownership in 98. The software you are using may also do this, so look into that and maybe you can get it figured out. :)

The files were password protected, but we were able to take ownership in a friends machine running XP. I've been able to copy all my sons folders with his loops and mp3's to CD. We're going to wait a couple days and figure out where to go from here. At least I've got the important stuff backed up!

Thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back