Need to pick your brains on my dell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gemini2281

Let me begin by saying that I have a dell dimension 2400. From reading this site I have learned that this is not the best PC to start with but that is all I have. OKay now on to the fun stuff. I want to use this computer for dual purposes. I am not a hardcore gamer but i like to play the Sims 2 and would like it to have at least decent graphics. I don't know anything about the power supply but I know that is an important factor. I have learned that I will probably need a new motherbord and power supply. I want to get an intel pentium processor but right now I have a celeron. If I buy a new motherboard would I be able to keep my same processor until I get a new one(basically would that be a compatible upgrade?) Last I have dell memory, would I need to buy a different kind of memory? Sorry I am asking so much but I really don't want to ruin this. I am just not sure what components of this system are salvageable.

I recently replaced a motherboard, cpu, ram, video card, psu, etc in a dell 2300.

If you get a socket 478 motherboard it should support your current celeron, while supporting newer p4's too.

You should have standard ddr ram in a 2400 IIRC.

If you need more help I can give more info.

The front usb won't work if you replace the mobo, the connector's non standard, and the power button needs a little modding to get it to work with a non dell mobo, but it's not too hard(if a 2400 is like a 2300).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back