need yet another graphics upgrade! But can't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well what can i say yet another hole i've got my self into.

I have just bought my self Oblivion (PC Game), to find that my Radeon 9250 PCI, doe's not run with DirectX v9.0, though the main problem is i have the Dell 2400 which only has PCI slot, and i feel now PCI has come to an end with the PCI- express.

I know i should have thought about the graphic update before purchase, though i was not such a problem 16 months ago. Is there any other option open to me, like running graphics card extensions through USB 2.0. Or is that time yet again to up-grade my pc motherboard, and CPU.

Thanks in advance

Hello and welcome to Techspot!

You pretty much are at the end of the road. I wish I had better news for you. AGP slots still have some nice options, but board with only PCI slots are pretty much out of the game when it comes to graphics. Your card (9250) is pretty much the high end for PCI graphics and your only choice if you want to go any higher is to upgrade your motherboard completely.

Have you already tried running oblivion? If you get blank textures it's probably not a directx problem, it’s due to the shaders on your graphics card. I made a post about a program to allow oblivion to run with the older shader Here follow the link there to get oldblivion. I'm running it now with an AGP 9250 at lower settings it runs quite well but it is definitely time for an upgrade.

Thanks

Thanks, as I suspected time for an upgrade, unfortunately my gaming days are somewhat numbered for a while then, as I have had to purchase a laptop for business purposes (this won't run the game either. Though from this I have clearly learned to make sure I know what card I have before purchasing a game in future.

Thanks for the welcome message, look forward to using this site in future.

notcorn said:
Have you already tried running oblivion? If you get blank textures it's probably not a directx problem, it’s due to the shaders on your graphics card. I made a post about a program to allow oblivion to run with the older shader Here follow the link there to get oldblivion. I'm running it now with an AGP 9250 at lower settings it runs quite well but it is definitely time for an upgrade.

yes the game will run and i can clearly see the stat bars, but the rest of the screen is white. though i do get a faint image of a stool, but thats it. will give anything ago at the moment.

White textures are due to the older pixel shader in the 9250 you need a shader model 2 card or use the Oldblivion program for shader model 1 in my link above.

As you may have guessed by a late response, i got the game working. Unfortunatly it's left me itching to get a updated graphics card. I even would not let my friend show me the Xbox 360 version as i'm leaving the rest to my imagination, until i can afford the full upgrade.

Just to tell you it looks like shi7 on the xbox 360 compared to my 7800gt.

Comparing my computer (specs in pro) to a xbox 360 with a samsung hd-tv.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back