Needs Help with overclocking. processor/video card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jwdmgj101

Hi I’m Jason. I have been doing a little research on overclocking AMD. Although I would like to get to the meat and potatoes on it, and what I mean is I would like to learn how to OC, Now for all of you guy that are convinced that I’m going to run and overclock everything I can get my hands on. Your wrong Cause to me my system runs just fine. This is more so I would in theory be able to perform the task of overclocking either (processor, or video card) to expand my knowledge of computers. with all that out of the way here are the specs for my machine

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)

Motherboard:
CPU Type AMD Duron, 1300 MHz (13 x 100)
Motherboard Name MSI KM2M Combo (MS-6738) (3 PCI, 1 AGP, 2 SDR DIMM, 2 DDR DIMM, Audio, Video)
Motherboard Chipset VIA VT8375 ProSavageDDR KM266
System Memory 384 MB (SDRAM)
BIOS Type Award (04/18/03)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM2)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM2)
Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)
Display:
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (128 MB)
3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
Monitor EPI EnVision EN-S1995A [19" CRT] (1211114592)
[ Motherboard ]

Motherboard Properties:
Manufacturer MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD
Product MS-6738

[ Processors / AMD Duron(tm) ]

Processor Properties:
Manufacturer AMD
Version AMD Duron(tm)
External Clock 100 MHz
Maximum Clock 2000 MHz
Current Clock 1300 MHz
Type Central Processor
Voltage 1.7 V
Status Enabled
Upgrade ZIF
Socket Designation Socket A
overclock
CPU Properties:
CPU Type AMD Duron
CPU Alias Morgan
CPU Stepping A1
CPUID CPU Name AMD Duron(tm) processor
CPUID Revision 00000671h

CPU Speed:
CPU Clock 1299.43 MHz
CPU Multiplier 13.0x
CPU FSB 99.96 MHz (original: 100 MHz)
Memory Bus 133.27 MHz

CPU Cache:
L1 Code Cache 64 KB
L1 Data Cache 64 KB
L2 Cache 64 KB (On-Die, Full-Speed)

I hope that is enough to help.

Well you'd just increase the fsb from 100mhz up in small increments until it's unstable, then back off some. You can increase the vcore some to get more oc, but high voltage can kill cpus easily. Some cpus have an unlocked multilplier, so then you can increase the multi instead of oc'ing the fsb. Example, you could increase the multi to 14x instead of 13x to get 100mhz more speed on your cpu, if you cpu allows it.

Terms and lingo

Ok the terms kind of confuse me. What does FSB Mean? As well I do this though bios correct? And I’m just assuming here, but everything can be done from bios correct? Last but not least would I have to take the processor out in order to OC it?
Thanks

Ok, fsb = front side bus, it connects the processor and the memory, among other things.

Yes, it's normally done in the bios, but some boards have software overclocking apps designed for them so that a person can oc from windows(like clockgen).

Not all boards can oc though, usually oem(hp, dell, etc) pc's can't be oc'ed.

No you don't need to remove the cpu, unless you are doing some kind of hardware modification to oc' it, like solder something to make it faster(if that's possible).

Your cpu speed is the result of the fsb X the cpu's multi, so a 100 fsb X 13 multi = a 1300mhz(1.3ghz) cpu. Most of the time different models of cpus just have different multi's, like a 1.4ghz might have a 14x, a 1.5 a 15x, etc.

The bad thing about fsb overclocking on older boards is that it can overclock your pci and agp speeds(since they're tied to the fsb speed), which is bad, because if they get too high, it can fry your pci sound card/modem, etc, or your agp card.

Newer boards have "locked" agp and pci speeds.

Thank you much easer to understand

Now that's something I can get, guess I'm blond. I think that I'm going to try it on one of my older computers before messing with mine. but the good thing is My motherboard is just over a year old, Now do you think that thats's young enough to have the locked agp? either way thanks for you help

Ok, how I can tell my board is locked is that when I oc, I can check in clockgen and see that my pci speed is still at 33mhz, even though I've increased my htt (newer amd cpus have a htt speed instead of a fsb) speed from 200mhz to 275+mhz.

Here you can see my pci is 33mhz.
http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/1605/clockgen14rx.jpg

Also if there isn't a clockgen for your board, you could just try googling your boards model along with something like "pci lock", "agp lock", "asynchronous agp/pci" or whatever and see if what you find out. Some reviews indicate whether the board is locked or not.

if there is a clock gen on my board I don't know about it. I mean does that come with the soft ware? (that came with the motherboard) Or is this something in the bios?

You can dl clockgen here, if theres a version for your board.
http://www.cpuid.org/clockgen.php
You need to either match the board model, or the chipset in nvida chipset models.

If your board is the msi ms-6738, like in your original post, then I don't see it listed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back