Nero & Pioneer 109 recognition problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davino

I have a new nero disk and my computer won't recognize any disk at all in the drive, audio cd's work, burnt dvd's do not. Please help!

How old is the computer? How old is the optical drive.
Be sure your jumpers are set properly on the back of your optical drive.
Optical drives have a very high failure rate, often lasting less than a year.
Lasers burn out like light bulbs. Burning and reading lasers are different components of the drive, and either can get out of alignment... so that the laser cannot read the tracks in the correct order.
You can also have a drive which has had the belt slip off, or the idler wheel is stuck.
Easiest fix is to buy a new drive. You can buy DVD burners online from any of the major companies for under $30 plus shipping, then install it yourself. Better build drives are Plextor and Yamaha, but they will cost you four to six times more than the good enough LG, Lite-On, and Samsung. Avoid HLDS and low priced HP or low priced Sony.

raybay said:
How old is the computer? How old is the optical drive.
Be sure your jumpers are set properly on the back of your optical drive.
Optical drives have a very high failure rate, often lasting less than a year.
Lasers burn out like light bulbs. Burning and reading lasers are different components of the drive, and either can get out of alignment... so that the laser cannot read the tracks in the correct order.
You can also have a drive which has had the belt slip off, or the idler wheel is stuck.
Easiest fix is to buy a new drive. You can buy DVD burners online from any of the major companies for under $30 plus shipping, then install it yourself. Better build drives are Plextor and Yamaha, but they will cost you four to six times more than the good enough LG, Lite-On, and Samsung. Avoid HLDS and low priced HP or low priced Sony.
The computer was revamped last year, new hard drives and everything, it is a custom job, the drive is about a year old, as well, Could it be the disk that I just got?

No the problem probably isn't with nero.

A drive quick test may be in order here first.

Reboot your computer and enter your computer BIOS. Usually all you have to do is tap the delete key a few times as your motherboard POSTs to enter its’ BIOS. Make sure the first boot device is your optical drive and save the settings and exit your BIOS. Allow the computer to boot and place your Windows reinstall disk into the optical drive and reboot. When the computer boots the second time it should boot into the install disk. If it does your optical drive is probably OK, and the easy way to fix the problem is to reinstall Windows again. If it doesn’t boot into the install disk then your optical drive is probably dead.

Cinders said:
No the problem probably isn't with nero.

A drive quick test may be in order here first.

Reboot your computer and enter your computer BIOS. Usually all you have to do is tap the delete key a few times as your motherboard POSTs to enter its’ BIOS. Make sure the first boot device is your optical drive and save the settings and exit your BIOS. Allow the computer to boot and place your Windows reinstall disk into the optical drive and reboot. When the computer boots the second time it should boot into the install disk. If it does your optical is probably OK, and the easy way to fix the problem is to reinstall Windows again. If it doesn’t boot into the install disk then your optical drive is probably dead.

I don't have a windows disk! The drive plays cd's with no problem, however. Can I download a windows disk? Thanks!

Go to a friends house and burn a Memtest+ ISO to a disk. It will be bootable and much easier and legal to download. If your optical drive will read disks then the quick test will not be much help to you because you already know it will read a disk.

Your friend will have to have a computer with a working CD burner and disk burning software like Nero or you can bring the Nero disk with you and ask him if it’s okay to install the suite while you guys burn the Memtest+ disk. At his house you click the link and download the “Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)” file. Or you can put it on a floppy drive or a flash drive and take it to your friend’s house. Copy and paste the file to your friends desktop. Right-click the ZIP file and choose to “Extract Here” or “Extract Files,” because you can’t use the file while it’s still in its’ ZIP form. Once you extract the ISO all you should have to do is double-click the file and the burning software that is installed on the computer should start up. If the burning software doesn’t automatically start then you’ll either need to manually start your friends burning suite or install Nero. The burning software will automatically set all the burn parameters except for burn speed. You should set the burn speed to low or slow or 4X or 6X or 8X. You don’t want the burner to burn the disk as fast as possible because most CD burners don’t do a good job of burning CDs at high speed. Burn the disk, take it home with you, and test boot it in your computer. If you installed Nero in your friends computer then it would be best if you uninstalled the suite before you leave his house.

I see. If I don't have a friend that has an updated computer nearby, is there a way to run the tests just with my computer and the internet? I really appreciate the advice you guys are giving, thanks so much!

Sorry, I can't read everything (time limitation), but if not already mentioned, make sure you spray out the drive with compressed air, or possibly even an air compressor. If dust has gotten in their, it may be making it act up. My DVD+RW drive wouldn't read DVD's until I sprayed it out and dust went everywhere.

We have seen a lot of Nero Elements 7.0 disks that could not be read. They come with the optical drive, in the box. We have not seen the problem on other Nero discs, however. On the Nero Elements 7.0 disk, there was nothing there... nothing recorded on the disc.
Could yours be one of those?
You can get a replacement from the website of the optical drive seller... you want the disk, because of the product ID number needed for install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back