NetBios and NT Ports

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMDIsTheBest010

Please Help!

i just upgraded to PC-Cillin Internet Security 2006 and I ran a security check from Symantec/Nortons websit, http://security.symantec.com
and the hacker exposure check said that the NT port was "open" and the NetBios was "closed" nd said that they should be stealthed not open or closed are these ports an easy menas of entry for a hacker???

thanks
AMD

Open: a program is running on that port and available for servicing requests.
this is known, as a reply was returned to the inquery. Security is now a
function of the running service.

Closed: access to the port is possible, but at the moment, no program is
'listening' to any requests. The system has replied that no service is running.

Stealth: access can not be determined, as the connection times-out.
The ability to access (via routing, dns) is unknown, AND whether nor not a
service is running can not be known as a consequence. If the host is denying
PING replies as well, the very existence of a host is not known either.

If you are connected to the internet without a router, then the only open ports should be the ones you defined manually. I am not sure what is meant by "NT port", but every Windows service open to the world is a huge security hole :) It is probably the file and printer sharing service you were silly enough to leave running.

Close the port in your firewall or uninstall the service from your network connection properties.

thats just it after I set the firewall to "stealth all ports" it still said that it was open

I'm thinkning of switching back to Norton Internet Security 2006

AMDIsTheBest010 said:
thats just it after I set the firewall to "stealth all ports" it still said that it was open
1) any port forwarding set in your router will cause that port to 'not appear as stealthed'
2) any active service will be OPEN and not stealthed
3) the perspective of the test point makes a difference, eg: inside your lan subnet VS. public internet probing.
4) and the tool you used to establish Open, Accessible, Stealthed may or
may not be '100% perfect'

don't go paranoid on this issue -- just be sure your firewall is active, logging
and configured for your environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back