Netgear dg834g wireless modemrouter with usb adaptor ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinnievinnie

Any help gratetfully received in advance

problem

This netgear product (Wireless modem router with adaptor )was purchased by family as a present. They noted the outside of the box which quoted both Windows and Mac compatible. The buyer knew we have a dual OS Mac and Windows household. However the ideal scenario would be for the PC to be hard wired and the Mac to run off the usb adaptor but examining the kit it is clear there is no Mac driver for the usb adaptor. Upon further investigation it would seem there is not a driver for the adaptor and netgear do not intend to support the adaptor for use on Mac. They direct to a third party supplier who wishes to charge for the driver software and only supports cards not usb connections.
Apart from the obviously mis-leading pack details; certainly a bad show on netgears' part, I am left considering if any else knows the whereabouts of a driver that will run this adaptor on the mac.
System is OS 10.4

thank you

regards

vinnievinnie

You mean that a USB wireless adapter was bundled with the router?

The exact model of the said adapter would help. "dg834g" is a plain router and doesn't really give any clues.

apologies

Dear Nodsu

thank you for your interest so far.
The exact details are
netgear DG834G wireless modemrouter with usb adapter bundle.
The specific usb adapter is netgear WG111 54mbps usb 2.0.

Thank you

regards

vinnievinnie

My search of the Netgear site shows that all four of the dg834x wireless modem routers offer online manuals you can save to your desktop and print. In each of those, there is a section on "Configuring for the Macintosh" or words to that effect.
Also, there is a section for email support on troubleshooting issues and installations.
Have you tried these?
The adapter should not be an issue if the rest is working properly.

sorry for your experience -- real bummer when the packaging is misleading :(

I'm in a PC/Mac environment too and found the Dlink DWL-G810 an effective
solution for USB wireless connections to the Mac.

thank you so far

dear all

i shall attempt to find out more info with regard to raybay comments.
i shall bare in mind that Nodsu quotes categorically this USB adapter does not work with Mac OS.
indeed Jobeard it is an annoyance and one which the company should be held accountable for however ,I suspect I shall be one small voice that they will ignore having already had the money from someone else who bought the item as a gift.

regards to all

thank you

vinnievinnie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back