Netgear WirelessG Router-How can I restrict bandwith?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rayss523

Whenever my roomate gets on he hogs the bandwith like a mother!

How can I restrict the bandwith on his wireless connection?
It makes me have 2k+ms response on WOW, with my wireless
And it makes Halo 3 unplayable wired.

To phrase it more clearly I have

My Computer Hooked up with a wireless card
His computer hooked up with a wireless card
My Xbox 360 Hooked up with a Cat5 cable

I want my roommate to only be able to get 50% of the bandwith through his wireless card. Because he tends to take 90% of the bandwith as it stands.

Hmm I went to the DD-WRT website and didn't see anything about restricting bandwith for individual wireless access points. But I couldn't understand a good portion of what they were really saying anyway.

Can I get an english how to written for a 5 year old?

Does he do anything specific when online?
Not sure if its possible but do you have a QoS type option where you can specifiy what games/apps or even pc get bandwidth priority?

Are you the admin of his PC.. If you are you could login into this PC and limit the bandwidth under group policy

click on start
click on run
type: gpedit.msc
Expand Computer Configuration
Expand Adminstrative Template
Click on Sub Network then on Qos Packet Scheduler
Click on Limted reservable bandwidth default is 20% I remove mine on all PC
You could set it higher like 50% or 80% then he'll really see a drop. With Group Policy you can really manage the way your buddy access the internet and extranet intranet (LAN) So you're doing on the PC itself not on the router.

on some laptops - you can cut down the power to the Wireless LAN Card and therefore it will weaken his signal, you can then give it low power and he'll notice that the internet will run slower.

PBNinja101 said:
on some laptops - you can cut down the power to the Wireless LAN Card and therefore it will weaken his signal, you can then give it low power and he'll notice that the internet will run slower.

That can be altered by that person, it's better to setup group policies are hidden to all users. The otherway you would have to restrict access to the NIC Card Configuration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back