Netscape 7.0 Preview available for download @ netscape.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick

Staff
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this. I just happened to be cruising through Netscape for old browser downloads and saw the 7.0 preview-1 release.

I've tried it out and have had good experiences so far. For anyone interesting in something new, it is a recommended download.

I've tryed it & so far it seems to work better then 6.2. It doesn't crash as often as 6.2 did in flash & java heavy pages.

I've got a program here that won't even load, it runs better than Netscape 6.2. I haven't been able to run Netscape on any of my systems since 4.7.

I don't think I'm going to waste my time on this one, not after the headache I got when I tried to run 6.2, getting rid of it was even more of a headache.

The browser itself seems extremely stable.

I think they have changed tweaked the DOM for Javascript a bit... Perhaps not a good thing...A DHTML script I wrote to be exhaustively cross compatible with Netscape 4.0-6.2 and IE 4.0-6.0 doesn't seem to work properly in Netscape 7.0.

It could have been an error on my part, but it worked in previous browsers. Maybe I just suck at Javascript. :dead:

Yes, I've used Mozilla and Netscape for years, though I haven't used Netscape recently. Mozilla is lighter & faster and about as stable as Netscape now, that's why I use that. Browsing in Mozilla 1.0 rc2 now.

I'm not too sure about Mozilla. As a matter of fact, I've used it recently.. A few months ago.. And it doesn't seem any less bloated than Netscape is, minus the AOLware.

The actual program itself is quite literally the same thing and uses about the same amount of memory. They both render pages identically, thanks to using the same rendering engine I would imagine, so compatiblity is not an issue either.

The reason I don't use Mozilla anymore is because of some silly bug where it will not cache images properly sometimes. Mozilla is fine and I'd gladly use it again, but since I've already got Netscape, I'm not tripping over my shoelaces to use it again.

I usually use IE anyhow, being a Windows user and all. It's faster and supports sloppy coding better - The web isn't perfect you know.

Ahh, my first problem with Netscape 7 PR1

The browsing buttons became contorted, distorted and discombobulated beyond usability. After a few restarts and some sleep, Netscape 7.0 is back in business though. Odd.

My experience with NS6 was not a really good one. That's why I prefer the "original" browser i.e. Mozilla.

It does all the things I expect it to do and I don't have to bother about any security holes (except one which has been fixed).

Rick: Would it be possible for you to explain on the bug a bit further? I'm interested in knowing. TIA.

Originally posted by lokem
My experience with NS6 was not a really good one. That's why I prefer the "original" browser i.e. Mozilla.

It does all the things I expect it to do and I don't have to bother about any security holes (except one which has been fixed).

Rick: Would it be possible for you to explain on the bug a bit further? I'm interested in knowing. TIA.

My problem with Netscape or Mozilla?

I'm going to assume Mozilla since it seems more of your interest. From time to time (especially local sites on the network) it would seem that images become corrupted in the cache. It's strange. I installed 1.0 RC3 Mozilla today to test it out and I have been unable to reproduce this problem so far. Perhaps it was fixed in RC3 or I haven't been as unfortunate as before. ;)

It was an uncommon (not rare!) problem though.

Mozilla of course ;) Haven't had that problem. I've used since a year ago. Although there were a lot of problems, they've been fixed.

BTW, dude! Mozilla 1.0 is out! :)

Originally posted by Rick
I'm not too sure about Mozilla. As a matter of fact, I've used it recently.. A few months ago.. And it doesn't seem any less bloated than Netscape is, minus the AOLware.
Forgot to mention that I compiled Mozilla from source code, so I had the option to choose what to include and what not. No bloating :)

Originally posted by Mictlantecuhtli

Forgot to mention that I compiled Mozilla from source code, so I had the option to choose what to include and what not. No bloating :)

Isn't that achievable by using the installer and choosing which package you want to install? Or just d/lding the XPI files you want?

Originally posted by lokem
Isn't that achievable by using the installer and choosing which package you want to install? Or just d/lding the XPI files you want?
I don't know what kind of an installer Mozilla has. If it's the same as Netscape, then maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back