Network Cable is Showing unplugged

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a PC running windows XP in a home office. It is connected to 4 other PC's (via a hub)all running the same OS. One morning Windows is showing that the network cable is unplugged. I checked the network cable by connecting the same cable into my laptop and that worked fine. I bought a new network card, installed it, updated the drivers, but it is still showing that my network cable is unplugged.

Please Help!!

is this connected via a switch or router... try switching physical ports on the router.. you may have a defective port on the router.

I tried that. There is no connectivy light comes on no matter which port I try on the hub. However all the lights work because I tested them with my laptop.

try this...

move nic card to different PCI slot. you may have a defective pci slot.

try this...

right click my computer> click properties> click hardware tab> click device manager>

find the active nic ( you said you installed another i think) right click it> click properties> click advaced tab> click on the Link Speed & duplex(it may be named differently)> change to 10 base full duplex... click ok then try a reboot.
try settings on 10base half duplex if this doesn't resolve issue.

First NIC is built in to the mother board. Tried moving the second NIC to a different slot with no luck.

tried both 10 full and 10 half duplex suggestion with no luck. Do you think a worm or virus may have made changes to the registry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back