Network Cable Unplugged? No Internet Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Network Cable Unplugged? No Internet Connection
Greetings everyone,

Just the other day, I began to experience a problem with my Internet connection. On one of my PCs, in the notification area, an icon consisting of two monitors with a red "X" appeared with the message: "Local Area Connection: A network cable is unplugged." However, the cable is not unplugged. My other PC and laptop (which is wireless) can connect to the Internet, so I know it's not my ISP or my router.

First, I thought it may be the cable, so I replaced it with another cable I had. No luck.

Then I thought it may be the port on the router, so I plugged it into one of the other ports (including the port that the working PC was plugged into). Still no luck.

Next, I checked Device Manager > Network Adapters > Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection. There is no exclamation point next to it. Plus, under Properties, it indicates that this device is working properly.

I shut down all my computers, and unplugged the dsl modem and router. I waited a few minutes and then plugged in the modem, followed by the router. Once both of those were fully booted, I turned my computers back on. Still, no connection for the problem PC.

I went back into Device Manager and uninstalled the network adapter. Following this, I went to Add Hardware. The PC found the new hardware and installed it successfully. However, immediately upon reinstalling the hardware components, the unplugged network cable icon reappeared.

Following this, I went to Run, typed "cmd" and then "ipconfig." Under Windows IP Configuration, it reads:
"Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection: Media State.........: Media Disconnected." Is this the source of the problem? If so, how do I fix this?

I am using a Gateway 500XL with Windows XP Home. The ISP provide is Verizon and the router is a Netgear WGR614 v6.

BTW, I have tried System Restore, but this didn't correct the issue either.

Thanks in advance,
Ian

well, you certainly did all the right steps. has the box been opened lately?
using the device mgr, did you try the TroubleShoot button on the General TAB?

hi, I dont know about that fix, but generally if xp reports that the cable is unplugged then generally it means that there is no connection. so what are the chances that both your ethernet cables are broken?

could be that the ethernet ports on the router have become disabled but i would imagine that the connection would show as connected but Limitted or no connectivity would come up? have you checked your router manual to see if the ethernet ports can be disabled and enabled by configuring your router?

Your onboard network card is broken. I've seen this countless times and you've done everything right to correctly diagnose that it is broken. Literally 10s of times I've seen the exact problem you are having and Windows NEVER has correctly told me the card was dead. If its a PCI NIC you can check to see if its seated properly, but its unlikely it came loose.

If you strongly disagree with my diagnosis download a live linux cd (everyone should have one to help with hardware troubleshooting anyway) and see if it will connect online.

Bottom line - your onboard or PCI NIC is toast, pick up another one for $5 from your local computer shop.

Come to think of it!

i have a few of those broken NIC'c in junk box and windows shows them all as "network cable unplugged"

SNGX1275 is spot on.

igold said:
Do you think the utility Winsockxp.exe fix could help. You think so?
I googled and couldn't find much info on what that does, apparently a TCP/IP stack fix. But thats not really your problem here. Your problem is you have a dead network card - stuff like that happens from time to time.

Like I said if you disagree with me boot off a live linux disk and check your network ability. If it works then play with winsockxp.exe.

I've seen this problem so many times and never once have I had a card that was actually good and windows was just saying the cable was unplugged.

Netgear, Linksys, Intel,

i cant think of any particular one that is really bad ive got a few different makes that have failed that have failed, but think the intel was good.

igold said:
If so, what is the best network card and how much is it?
Not going to matter what card you get. If you are really concerned about reliablity pick up 2 Realtek 8139s instead of 1 and replace it when the original dies. Its probably cheaper to buy 4 8139s than it is to go to walmart or staples or best buy and pick up a $30 netgear/intel/whatever.

Just do what I said early on and go to your local computer shop and get a $5 NIC from them.

personally, my first choice is always the 3com card -- imo -- you get what you pay for :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back