Network card keeps disconnecting. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, i've got a really strange problem. I've searched for along time to resolve this, but none of the exsisting threads seem to have exactly the same problem as me so let me explain.

Im using a NF7 V2.0 motherboard with an Athlon 3000+ XP. The NF7 V2.0 has an onboard network card which I have the Uni drivers for (nForce2). The problem is at random times it seems to cut out then start up again, with a little bubble in the bottom right corner saying "Local area connection is now connected 10/100m" or something along those lines. So I tried my PCI network card and that has exactly the same problem. It usually disconnects during games, and as im sure you can imagine its extremly frustrating.

I have turned off "Let windows turn this devices off to save power" option but that has no effect.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Where does the other end of the cable go?

You could have a bad network cable or the device at the other end may be malfunctioning.

You can try setting the link speed manually to 10Mbit/100Mbit half/full duplex to stop the auto-detection and possible flapping

Other end is connected to a Linksys router, I would swap out the cable but it's wired through the walls. Is there any other possible cause other than the cables so i can narrow it down.

You can try setting the link speed manually to 10Mbit/100Mbit half/full duplex to stop the auto-detection and possible flapping

How do I do this?

Thanks for the help.

You do it in the NIC properties in Device Manager.

You can rule out the cable problem by temporarily putting the computer closer to the router and using a known good cable.

You can also try putting the cable in another LAN port on the router in case the one you are using at the moment is bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back