Network Connected, But No Internet Access

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've set up a wired/wireless network in my apt and after several days of operating without difficulty, the laptop (which is connected wirelessly) now can no longer access webpages. My desktop is wired into the router and has not had any difficulties. I'm using an AirLink 101 802.11g router and a Motorola SB5100 Surfboard modem. The laptop is logged in to the network and I've tried power cycling both the modem and the router and disabled the security on the network. Are there any other basic troubleshooting things I can or should I just get some professional help?

Using XP home on laptop, XP pro on desktop.
Laptop on dynamic address.
Ping is a-ok on desktop to router/modem. Don't know how to check on laptop.
Thanks for the help.

In the Run box type cmd /k ipconfig /all
and check the settings.
Do this on both the laptop and the desktop. Make sure the gateway on the laptop is the same as the desktop.

Both laptop and desktop are on the same settings except for the IP. The "Wireless Network Connection - Choose a Wireless Network" window appears to believe that the laptop is connected (it allows the possibility of disconnecting), but the system tray icon and the text box on the window both indicate that the laptop is not connected. So now what should do I do now? Thanks for all your help.

Go to Control Panel | System | Computer Name and click the change button. I think this is still case sensitive.

Downloaded XP network Service Pack 2 and laptop now connects to network, but still no Internet access. Could get some more help, please. Thanks in advance.

For your internet access im thinking its to do with your gateway settings. In TCP/IP Properties you can manually assign your pc's IP addresse's & the gateway. Why not try & manually assign IP's & make sure all pc's & your router share the same gateway (default 192.168.0.1).

I meant to ask too ... is one of your pc's using WIN Server 00 or 03 or whatever? Or have you just run cable from the router to the pc's? Do u have a wireless access point or is that to do with the router? Probably eh? in any case, i'd check the gateway. So many times when I've set-up a network the gateway has always made a difference. Simple restart after configuration may be required too.

But yeah, if you can ping them, you're almost there! Its just to my understanding the gateway is the last point before the internet or "outside world". For all pc's to pass through it, you must set it up. Copy whatever gateway your router uses (as its probably the gatekeeper!) Or something like that anyway! :giddy:

Good luck wiv it & could you post your final results once fixed? Good reading!

Cheers :grinthumb

Sorry I tried your fix , but actually the problem was a software conflict. The virus scanner was blocking IE from establishing contact until it could get upgraded (which required being able to access the Internet).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back