Network connection problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
host problem?

i am a new guy to this so please be patient with me.

i appear to have a problen when i go onto the net.

i have a broadband connection with my local cable provider telewest. when i go to use the net my homepage has been taken over by looncomics i then go to default and get my homepage back - so far so good. However when i have finished on the net and close down my computer i get a message telling me that i have to shut down a program before it can shut down - i click okay but nothing happens and the computer will not shut down?
I see a little box telling me that the programme running is svchost and it is in my system file. when i try to delete it i get a message that it cannot be deleted as windows iis using the programme. this has happened for 2 weeks now. I am not used to using dos and am not the best at computers - i just use them.

can anyone out there please give me guidance.

Paul W:confused:

I recomend scanning your computer for a virus and then try using Ad-Aware and also SpyBot, both of which are free programs. You might be surprised at what you find.

Hope this helps. By the way, you could have started your own thread on this subject. You will probably get a lot more help that way.

And welcome to TechSpot.

You definitely have one or more viruses (or viri correctly)
After you done your work as per olefarte, get yourself a hardware firewall/router and install also a software firewall (agnitum outpost, both the free and the pro version version beat the respective zonealarm programs)

Why would a hardware firewall/router be necessary ? If he only has one computer, it's just an extra expense ( on the electric bill also ).

Running regular Anti-virus & Adaware scans should do the job. If the PC happens to be on the net most of the time, then it might be a good idea to install zonealarm or a similar firewall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back